Dual Disc Spoke Wheel Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Disc Spoke Wheel Conversion

anyone with any experience with doing a dual front disc conversion on wire spoke wheels? i have a 1979 gs 750.

i have the wheels all mounted up on the forks and it seems that the wheel is a little closer to the left fork(actually the true right side) and the disc is a little closer.

it also seems to be a little out of alignment with the triple tree and bars.

i did a total fork rebuild with new seals because one was longer than the other but i have solved the length issue yet the alignment thing still remains.

i was thinking maybe it was an axle issue but that seems perfectly fine ans there are no issues with that.

i know i have all of the spacers in there(at least all of the ones that are supposed to be the, not sure if there is something extra i need for the conversion).

i haven't put the brakes on yet because i have to rebuild the calipers and master cylinder but i can only imagine this will be an issue since it's quite noticeable that they are snugged over to the left.

i'll try to get some pictures up so it will be easier to see what i'm talking about.

thank.

You need forks from a dual disk bike You can not use the original

Comment

i am using forks from a dual disk bike. the original bike came with mags and dual disc.

here is some pics, i feel like i'm missing something super simple and i'm almost 100% positive it's not the forks because i've rebuilt them entirely and replaced any worn parts with others that were not worn i.e. new right fork and rebuilt the left(speedo side) and they are exactly alike now so the proble resides somewhere else i feel like.

here is head on

close up non speedo side

close up speedo side

disc non speedo side

disc speedo side

overhead view

overhead view 2

let me know if you'd like to see any other pics or if you have a hunch.

thanks

Comment

I see the bushing on your right side is sticking out. Had the same problem on my 83 750e. After spending days looking it turned out the fork brace was sucking the forks together. My solution was to slack the fork brace bolts right off, then line up everything down below, and tighten there, then tighten the fork brace last.
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

which right side bushing? speedo or non?

i'll go and try that and see if it helps, thanks.

Comment

Ok Did you use the triple from the donor ?

Comment

Originally posted by gmoore View Post
              ... it seems that the wheel is a little closer to the left fork(actually the true right side) ...
              Originally posted by gmoore View Post
              which right side bushing? speedo or non? ...
              Stick around a while, you will learn that ALL references to front/back, left/right, up/down are made as you are sitting on the bike.

Just because you are in front of the bike, looking back, does not mean that the speedo drive is on the 'right' side, it's still on the LEFT SIDE.

By the way, same thing for cylinder numbering, they are numbered left to right, meaning that #1 is under your clutch hand and #4 is under your throttle hand.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Starboard man starboard !!
                Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                1983 GS 750

Comment

haha, ok. oh, and no i did not use the donor bikes triple tree.

i went out and loosened everything, triple tree lock bolt & pinch bolt, all 4 fork pinch bolts, fender bolts axle bolt & the bottom fork bolt studs and started over starting with the axle.

i set the bike down and let it set naturally and then raised it back up made sure nothing was weird and then tightened everything up with the fender being last and it ended up just about where it was.

so then i did the same thing but after loosening i put the handles bars where i wanted them to be by turning them a little bit and proceeded to tighten everything up. this seemed to help and it's ALMOST there but it still wants to turn to the right a hair.

honestly i'm starting to think this is how it was when the PO was riding it and he didn't notice and maybe i'm being a obsessive about it?

Comment

When I said slack off the fender bolts I meant so loose that the fender brace rattles around. I left my fender off for repainting and the thickness off the fender was what made the difference.
                    1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                      When I said slack off the fender bolts I meant so loose that the fender brace rattles around. I left my fender off for repainting and the thickness off the fender was what made the difference.

yeah, that's what did. the fender was as loose as could be w/o falling off. i actually still haven't tightened them since they are actually pushing out on the forks rather than pulling them in.

Comment

Okay as I see it the bushing on the right side is not flush with the axle nut washer, Is that correct ?
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

Okay as I see it the bushing on the right side is not flush with the axle nut washer, Is that correct ?

yes, that is correct. i noticed that after i went back out and loosened everything so i found a washer that would fit over the axle but not hit the fork to take up the space because when i loosened the bottom of the forks the slipped over a bit.

i think this fixed the unequal distance between the rotors and the forks but did not fix the "alignment" issue.

i just went out and looked at it again and it is definitely better than it was but it is still not 100% there. however it is close enough to where i wonder if i'm seeing things.

it is a bit better though.

Comment

Okay I don't quite understand the alignment issue ? But I don't think you should add a washer that is not in the parts fiche. With everything slack give both forks a pull from side to side, then get on the bike and push the forks down and up a few times. Once everything is aligned, tighten up the fork caps then the axle nut, and finally the fender brace bolts. Spin the wheel and if everything is free,you should be good to go. What do you mean by alignment ?
                            1983 GS 750

Comment

Okay I don't quite understand the alignment issue ? But I don't think you should add a washer that is not in the parts fiche. With everything slack give both forks a pull from side to side, then get on the bike and push the forks down and up a few times. Once everything is aligned, tighten up the fork caps then the axle nut, and finally the fender brace bolts. Spin the wheel and if everything is free,you should be good to go. What do you mean by alignment ?

as far as "alignment" i mean, when the bars a perfectly straight the front wheel is pointed to the right.

that is pretty much what i did and everything spins great and looks great, it's the fact that the wheel looks to be out of alignment with the handle bars that concerns me.

it does look to be a little better now however.

as far as the extra washer i added is concerned it seemed like what needed to happen since the spacer was actually recessed into the fork a little and the washer compensates for that. also the problem is that there is no fiche for a dual disc spoke wheel setup and where the parts theoretically are all interchangeable, i'm geussing that there is some extra space for some reason? idk, it seems to work, i guess i'll see if messes something up space wise when i mount the front brakes.

BTW, thank you for the help, i really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X