A Brake bleeding procedure I used today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Brake bleeding procedure I used today

So doing routine maintenance on all my bikes, decided to tackle brakes on all of them. A GS650GL (Back and front), an XS650 front (drums in back) and YS250 front. I also had the brilliant idea to replace the lines for SS lines.

So the XS went under the wrench first, less than 2mm of lining left. Bled the system of all fluid. Removed the caliper and lines (two piece became one line direct from MC to caliper). Cleaned all pertinent parts, and reassembled. Then the pain. filled the MC with DOT3, and started pumping. Nothing. After about 2 hours of pumping, and the fluid slowly draining into the system, I got to the point where no more fluid would flow, but, there was no pressure. I knew there was air in the system, but I could not get it out. So I started taping the line. Bubbles started to come up, slowly. After another 4 hours, finally some pressure started to build and I could start the bleeding process. All in all, I figure it took me about 8 hours, full at it, getting the air out. Tapping, here, tapping there, etc, etc. I realized I needed some kind of mechanical interference to drive the bubbles up. That was last weekend. MY LORD what a difference New EBC pads, SS line and fresh fluid made.

Today I decided to go at the GS. Since I want to ride it these Sunday. This bike has two MC's to tackle. Not wanting to spend 16 hours, give or take, I wanted to come up with something new. Something to SHAKE the bubbles out, something to vibrate them out. VIBRATE?? I went to the drugstore and (don't laugh ) looked for a lady's best friend. I found some minidoojobbers, that you put on a male partner to please the female one . bought two of them for 5 bucks a pair. Went home, taped them to the brake line. Turned them on. Started pumping the MC and bubbles FIZZLED out, literally. Got my brakes, dismantled, cleaned, new parts installed and bled in about 1 and a half hours.

So if and when you name your bike, give it a ladies name. Big Berta sure liked them midfrequency gadgets....

That may win this month's McGyver award.

Comment

Silly me, I have just primed the master cylinder then pumped the fluid through.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Silly me, I have just primed the master cylinder then pumped the fluid through.

Steve, we can't condome that.

Comment

+1 for the Mcgyver award!

Cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

Interesting concept. Personally though, I bet an electric toothbrush (without the brush) would also probably do the trick and avoid the awkwardness of buying an item that may be hard to explain when spotted in your toolbox. Just a thought.
            Willie
            Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
            '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
            '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
            '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

I've always been a big fan of multi-purpose tools.
              1982 GS1100GL (Sold )(Retrieved!)
              1978 GS1000C (Sold, to be revived by Chuck)
              1979 GS1000EN (Parts Whore)
              1979 GS1000C (Collecting Dust)
              1980 GS750E (Sport-Touring Build...Someday?)
              1981 GS750L (Abandoned Project...maybe?)
              1982 GS750E (Collecting Dust)
              1983 GS750T (This is becoming a problem...)
              1981 GS650GL (Parts Whore / Cafe Donor)
              1981 GS550L (Cafe Project)

Comment

And then there is the MityVac...
                NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

It would probably be more awkward to explain why they were hanging off your bike.

Comment

While you were at the drug store you should have picked up a 100cc syringe and pumped the fluid in from the caliper.
                    -1980 GS1100 LT
                    -1975 Honda cb750K
                    -1972 Honda cl175
                    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                      While you were at the drug store you should have picked up a 100cc syringe and pumped the fluid in from the caliper.
                      I could see buying a pair of vibrators and a syringe becoming a bit awkward. Throw in some night time cough syrup, and you're sure to raise some eyebrows.
                      1982 GS1100GL (Sold )(Retrieved!)
                      1978 GS1000C (Sold, to be revived by Chuck)
                      1979 GS1000EN (Parts Whore)
                      1979 GS1000C (Collecting Dust)
                      1980 GS750E (Sport-Touring Build...Someday?)
                      1981 GS750L (Abandoned Project...maybe?)
                      1982 GS750E (Collecting Dust)
                      1983 GS750T (This is becoming a problem...)
                      1981 GS650GL (Parts Whore / Cafe Donor)
                      1981 GS550L (Cafe Project)

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                        Interesting concept. Personally though, I bet an electric toothbrush (without the brush) would also probably do the trick and avoid the awkwardness of buying an item that may be hard to explain when spotted in your toolbox. Just a thought.
                        Willie
                        I have yet to see a disposable tooth brush vibrate like this babies. http://www.tiendadurex.com/index.php?categoria=49110
                        and the price (not the one listed i the link was half the price of a single brush.)

Comment

Actually I did try that on the XS, it was way too messy, and maybe the diameter of the internal SS line was too big, or whatever. The only way I was able to get rid of the air was by tapping on it.

Comment

Yeah thanks. Co workers from across the office were wondering what I was giggling about.

Comment

Originally posted by Richsuz View Post
                              Actually I did try that on the XS, it was way too messy, and maybe the diameter of the internal SS line was too big, or whatever. The only way I was able to get rid of the air was by tapping on it.
                              I've done this several times because I made less mess, though I may have just got lucky with the MC. The bigger the syringe the better (I lost mine, maybe it was bigger than 100cc) and you use a clear tube between the syringe and the bleeder.

Doesn't the XS have a 650cc vibrator?
                              -1980 GS1100 LT
                              -1975 Honda cb750K
                              -1972 Honda cl175
                              - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Working...
                              X