Cast wheels & welding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast wheels & welding.

On my 83 550 project rear wheel there is a small ding in the rim that the PO has tried to repair by drilling two strain relief holes and tpping it back into place. The wheel is otherwise in good shape.

Normally, I would automatically replace it but a friend mentioned that it may be possible to have it repaired by welding up the holes/cracks. I've never seen this done and don't know of anyone in my area ( other than standard welders) who might do this sort of thing.

Before I investigate this further, I wonder if anyone can tell me the composition of the metal in the wheels, is it aluminum or some alloy?

Has anyone had any experience with wheel repairs of this type?

I'm suspecting that it would cost about as much as a replacement wheel so it may not be economically feasible but at this time I'm interested in looking in to my options.

Another thing I wonder about is, has anyone stripped these wheels of paint and polished them up?

As always all input is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Spyug

If it's like the 750 and 1000 wheels and all the other Suzuki wheels of this vintage I've had or seen the painted part looks like raw sand casting to me.While you could polish it it would be a lot of work.Had a alloy car wheel straightened at a shop in Vancouver that does motorcycle wheels as well.Buddy of mine with a shop uses them all the time.Should be a place like that in Ontario.Might want to check with a place that sells car wheels and see who they use.

Comment

Working...
    X