shocks too stiff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shocks too stiff!

So my GS750 has a custom made rear seat cowl which includes neoprene foam-the kind you find in kayak seats. It's very stiff and firm. Paired with my pair of MDI/EMGO shocks (the infamously stiff, cheap shocks) and I'm in for an asswooping every time I ride. Literally, I can't ride over 100 miles because of the ass pains (and eventually back pains, which are more chronic). Even around town, I can't feel any compliance over bumps-it's so rigid, the only time I notice it compressing is during heavy downshifting!

Seeing that I've invested a lot of money in this bike, I'd like to make it a little more rideable. I've been eyeing the Progressive shocks Z1 Enterprises sells (any good alternatives for front suspension while I'm at it?) and they seem quite expensive. I'm looking for advice on whether theses are a good investment, or if there are alternatives that won't break the bank- or my ass

If there is one thing I have learned here, and other places, it's that the last thing any of these bikes need is more power or money spent elsewhere (other than the necessary re-furnishing and safety bits) before the suspension is dealt with. Not only are better shocks and sorted forks safer, but the measure the contribute to making the bike handle better than you could have imagined is vast.

Progressive fork springs and shocks are a good step, but for slightly more I'd suggest Ikons (also available on z1 last I heard) as they're more adjustable (damping adjustable as well as preload). Racetech springs or sonic springs are also a good alternative as well as Racetech cartridge emulators.
    That's a fair bit of money. But the improvement will be substantial. It will handle far better than you will probably ever push it.

Comment

You might try the Emgos with the stock GS springs, but the Progressives would be much better. I got a pair for $130 from Motorcycle Superstore, and use my stock springs ('78 GS550), and am very satisfied.

Comment

Working...
      X