Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Bleeding Issue

G'day guys,
    I've installed salty monk's twin pot upgrade.
    Installed
    '02 ZG1000 front brake calipers
    '92 GSXR1100 front master cylinder
    GS1100 braided lines (with T piece connector).

I cleaned everything before starting, and just hooked it all up. I proceeded to bleed the lines. All was going really well (pump pump pump, open relief valve on caliper, close repeat) did this process about 5 -10 times each caliper.
    A little tiny bit of tension was felt in the brake lever, but it was still very ver loose.
    I tried to bleed the MC through the banjo bolt, pump pump pump, hold, crack it open a bit and then close. Lots of air bubbles came out. Did this a few times till the fluid just oozed out, no bubbles.
    then went back and did the calipers another 10 times each.

The lever was still spongy and very light.
    Tied the lever down over night as I heard this removes alot of air. This did nothing.

Then i tried reverse bleeding with a syringe from the caliper. Basically pumping fluid through the reielf valve up to the reservoir. Some tiny air bubbles came out. did this either side, again no change.

I'm totally stumped as to what the issue is. I am thinking there is a possibility that the Seals on the on the caliper(s) are leaky, or the master cylinder is leaky.
    There was the possibility that it was the T piece, but i replaced that with a spare one i had that was in top condition.

I've ordered a MC rebuild kit and a caliper rebuild kit waiting to arrive so I can test, is there anything I can do try and rule out the failing component or is there something terribly wrong that I'm doing.

Bleeding brakes is a bloody mess i tell ya. I've made a disaster in my garage, and not to mention the amounts of brake fluid cleaner i've burnt through whenever i drip some on my freshly powdercoated wheels or when it leaks or when I kick over the fluid bottle whoops...
    Thank god for the brake fluid cleaner...no peeling paint yet

I hate bleeding brakes. Have been going for days with no success. all help is appreciated..

Build is here

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

You've probably just got air in the lines. Pretty common thing to happen when you've drained the whole system. Use your syringe and 'draw' the brake fluid via the bleeder. Once you're fairly confident the whole line has fluid start using the brake lever to bleed the system, you should have pressure build up then. I think someone else just recently posted this procedure if you want to read how he did it. If any of your parts/connections were leaking you would be able to see the fluid coming out and creating even more of a mess, so if that's not happening nothing is leaking. Bike looks fantastic by the way.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks azr..
      ill give it a go on my bench now. i just took the brakes off....atleast now i wont mess the bike up !

Comment

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
        Thanks azr..
        ill give it a go on my bench now. i just took the brakes off....atleast now i wont mess the bike up !
        When you do the syringe thing the whole system needs to be hooked up. Your basically sucking fluid from the master down the lines to get rid of all the air in the lines so you can build up pressure at the lever. There's so much air in the lines right now the lever can't build pressure. Just sounded like you were going to do this to just the calipers, unless you've taken the whole brake system off the bike....sure hope not, that's way too much work. Good luck with it, this is just a small glich.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

yeah ive removed it all but its still all bolted together, if that makes sense...

do I have to bleed the t piece?

Comment

I ended up devising this method on Goldie.
            The glass is filled with brake fluid as well as the master cylinder.
            Of course, she only had 4 bleeders to get clear though.

In your case, just place the glass on the floor.
            As the air gets out, it can only suck in brake fluid.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
            X