81 GS450 master cylinder issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS450 master cylinder issue?

The brake needs a squeeze first that travels a fingers width to the bar before the front brake starts grabbing and then a quick second squeeze for the lever to travel the distance to the bar you would expect it to.
    Do I need a master cyl rebuild? I have stainless braided line for it already but have no problem with tackling the master cyl rebuild to be sure and if so, where to obtain such parts?
    It's a round or cylindrical reservoir with a spin off cap if that helps.

When you put the new brake line on make sure to bleed the fluid really good. I'm not saying that the mc doesn't need a rebuild anyway but could be air in the lines. I had to use a vacuum pump to actually suck the fluid through the line when I did mine. While you're at it pull the caliper apart and check the piston for pitting that could cause a bad seal.

Comment

It could be as simply as needing a good bleed as Kevin says, but I had that issue in a car years ago and the M/C was toast.

An option to try for bleeding is to tie the lever against the handlebar overnight and see if that makes it any better as it will force all the air bubbles out.

If you decide to rebuild the M/C, you should still be able to get the piston and cup set from Suzuki for a reasonably cheap price and you'll know you're getting the right thing. Some of the after market rebuild kits have bad reports.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I have a Mity Vac so bleeding should be easy.
        Gotta put the motor back together too!
        New......
        Stator
        Rectifier was done 3 4 years ago when I rode the thing.
        Shift Shaft seal
        Crank seal on the clutch cover
        Springs and oil for forks
        New allen bolts for all the phillips I removed dissassembling it.
        I'm going to ride it until I get the Honda done then hopefully sell it. I'll never get back what I put into it but I can't sell it without making sure it's sound.
        If I can't get a decnet buck for it I plan on giving it to a friend.
        Check out this Honda! $500!

At least the tank was stored dry since 1985. Can't say the same for the master cylinder! 2085 miles.

Comment

Working...
        X