Bleedin' brakes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The saga continues.

Tried several ways of bleeding the brakes with no improvements. I had resisted buying the MC rebuild parts, but I put the order in today.

But, as always, nothing is quite as smooth as all that. Tried to buy them from Boulevard Suzuki through their online service. Their system keep insisting that my email address had already been attached to their system (it had, I ordered some parts before) and that I needed to login.

Problem was that I had logged in. First thing I did! So I tried four times. Entered all the info and hit confirm order only to be told I needed to log in. I gave up.

Westfield Suzuki on the northside of Indy had been giving out $25 gift cards at the Indy motorcycle show and I hadn't used mine yet. Decided to drive up and place the order and see what I could get on the gift card. I've been thinking that narrower bars might be a good idea for more extended rides and decided that Superbike bars might be interesting. Like the dirtbike bars I have on it, but they really turn me into a sail at highway speeds.

Went up, ordered the piston and cup set, got a set of Superbike bars for free and headed home. Checked my email and found a "Thanks for ordering" note from Boulevard Suzuki. Uh. No. Cancel that.

Comment

I would break everything down and start over..

Comment

Pretty much where I am on this one. Had hoped it would be a short job, but I tend to learn the hard way at times.

Pretty sure the caliper is okay. Certainly aren't any leaks from it. No apparent leaks from the new stainless lines, so about the only thing left is the master cylinder.

It will be 3-5 business days until the parts get here, so hoping for early next week. My spring break next week and I really want to get this resolved so I can get some seat time in.

Comment

Great customer service from Ashley at Boulevard Suzuki. Canceled the order and refunded the money.

Now just waiting for the parts to come in at the local shop.

Comment

Quick update:

Let it sit for several days with the brake lever tied back. Now working appropriately, but will still be replacing the piston and cup in the MC later this week.

Put the Superbike bars on (got them free with a $25 off anything card I got from the dealer at the Indy bike show last month,) stainless steel line has to be adjusted, but feels pretty good now.

Comment

Okay...the saga continues. My previous post was optimistic.

Brakes faded pretty quickly, so I started on replacing the piston and cup. brwinger assisted in the disassembly, but I purchased the Motion Pro snap ring pliers to reassemble.

Put it back together and started on the bleeding process. Put teflon on the bleeder nut threads and thought I got the air out.

Noticed brake fluid coming from what appears to be a weep hole on the bottom of the master cylinder. Still have a couple of inches of brake lever (outside end) travel before the pressure hits. Seems pretty solid at that point, but clearly this is not as agressive as I had hoped for.

Will try bleeding some more today, but I am concerned about the fluid from under the master cylinder and how far the lever has to move to get brake pressure.

Any thoughts/advice?

Comment

I dont ever recall seeing a weep hole on the bottoms of any master cylinders..pics of this area maybe? Wipe it off and sit there to see exactly where and what starts to weep again??
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Here is the point where the leak appears to be happening. The picture is from the front. The nut at the closest point is the nut holding the brake lever bolt at the pivot point.

The leak is right in the middle of the picture. You can see the brake fluid forming a droplet when the picture was taken.

Comment

Here's the picture with some text added.

Comment

The outer seal in the M/C. Should be easy to change/clean up the bore.
                      Take the lever off and it will be easy to see.

Eric

Comment

Have just installed all new with Suzuki parts. This started after I put it back together.

Hoping not to tear down again, but it looks like that's next, right?

Comment

Im with Eric..Take off the lever and wipe it again and youll probably see the fluid oozes from around the piston/bore area. Just happens to get to the lowest point there before a pearl forms.
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Will do, gents. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Dont take out the guts..just remove the handle and clean it and watch to see if its weeping past the seals..then you can go from there..

Comment

Okay. When you talk about the outer seal, is that the last rubber boot that goes on after the circlip?

Or is it the rubber boot right before the washer held in place by the circlip?

Comment

Working...
                                X