Rear Brake Rotor Replacement - 79 GS550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Brake Rotor Replacement - 79 GS550L

I have a 1979 GS550L. I recently replaced the brake pads on it (3 months ago or so). Anyway, something must have gone wrong, because now the new brake pads are so worn down they are rubbing on the metal. The rear brake rotor is ruined. I bought a new rotor and brake pads on Amazon (EBC brand) and I am wondering if it is something that I can do, or should I bring it to a shop to have done? If anyone has an online guide on how to do this, I would much appreciate it. I can do the pads myself (I did them before with Basscliff's tutorial), but its the rear rotor that I need done now. If it is too dangerous, or difficult, I will bring it to a shop. I just want to know where the difficulty level is before that.

Thanks guys.

Welcome to the site. Since you already know about Basscliff's site, I won't add on the link for it. If you are referring to removing the rotor and replacing it, it's not hard. After breaking the nuts free (use PB Blaster to help loosen the crud), you may need to gently but forcefully use a pry bar to work the old rotor up. Clean everything, put the new one in place, and loc-tite the nuts back onto the bolts. Make sure you thoroughly strip and clean the caliper to include replacing seals/piston as well as doing the same to your master cylinder.

While you are in there, I'd go ahead and replace the wheel bearings if they haven't been done yet. Look at the boots where the sprocket and hub match up and replace those as necessary. I'd also look at and consider replacing both sprockets and chain if they need them as well as cleaning up the swingarm.

Might as well do it all now while it's apart and then you will know everything is put back together properly. It's not hard work and really not that expensive doing it yourself.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks. I didn't even think about the wheel bearings. The chain and sprockets are fairly new, so I'm OK there. I'm considering this bearing kit. Do you see any negatives to using the tapered bearings instead of the ball bearings?

Comment

No but I'd be willing to bet you'll get it cheaper and faster from Z1 Enterprises. Check their website out or call, they'll help you right out.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Nice. They were much cheaper. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
          X