steering bearing size question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering bearing size question

I have a 1979 GS750E and a set of GS1000 forks and triples that I'm installing to get rid of my rusty, pitted stock forks. I've been trying to figure out what bearings I need to get, but looking at the allballs interchange, it looks like there were 3 different bearing thicknesses for both the top and the bottom bearings, for both the 750 and the 1000. How do I figure out which ones I need? Do I just need to take everything apart and measure the steering head to figure out the depth, or is there an easier way? I'd like to have all the bits here so I don't have to have too much downtime with no bike while waiting on bearings.

I just did this with 1100 forks. The 2 dimensions I can guarantee for the 78 750 are 48mm OD and 15mm wide, for bottom and top. I used a one 25mm ID and one 30mm ID. You can call allballs and tell them the sizes and they will give you the part number.

Comment

Oman... I'm doing the same swap. shouldve read this post first. i was stuck on the heigjt.

question. when you installed the treea did the new top tree hit the tank at all?c

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll probably give allballs a call tomorrow just for confirmation.

Comment

Working...
        X