81 GS1100e wheel swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS1100e wheel swap?

I know I have asked this before, and thought a wheel from around an 88 gsxr 1100/750 would be the closest direct swap for an 81 GS1100E wheel? I have an extended swingarm using stock 81 wheel, drive and brake set up. WHat wheel would be the simplest swap. can an early 90's gsxr 1100 rear wheel, drive and brake be useful? do the drives interchange? or would I have to swap sprockets? Brake rotor?

Or maybe someone has a set up I can buy?

Just trying to look at my options before this season gets started....

The GSXR wheels up to 4.5 inches will go into the 1100 swingarm.
    You will only have to add a few spacers on eitheir side.
    The wheel needs to be complete with it's own disk and sprocket carrier.
    This implies using the corresponding GSXR caliper and moving to a 530 chain with an offset sprocket on the engine side.
    Here's a picture of this mod on my 1100 Kat

sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Hmmmm, was wondering if a 17x 5.5 wheel from a early to mid 90's GSXR would be able to slide into a somewhat stock width swingarm?

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs1100 View Post
        Hmmmm, was wondering if a 17x 5.5 wheel from a early to mid 90's GSXR would be able to slide into a somewhat stock width swingarm?
        yes
        First criteria is you just need to make sure you can get a wheel on the front that will hold a radial(to match the back).

Second criteria is to get a F wheel that matches the pattern on the R wheel.

Comment

Real wheel will be sporting a slick... so bias. And nothing else on the bike matches, I figure why change it now. lolI'll just have to buy a new 530 chain and right sprocketsthen. and brake caliper and holder. Thanks

Comment

OK, another question about using a 91 GSXR 750 rear wheel... I will be going to a 530 chain.... Has anyone doen this swap and may know off hand what amount of off-set to use for the front sprocket?

Comment

Not sure if this helps but I swapped an '88 gsx600 from and rear wheel set on to my 1978 gs1000 with very small modification. The front tire slid right into place. The year used an extra spacer and had to grind off a little lip on my swingarm. The brake brace also needed bent slightly to fit around the wider tire.

Comment

Originally posted by allenbrown View Post
                Not sure if this helps but I swapped an '88 gsx600 from and rear wheel set on to my 1978 gs1000 with very small modification. The front tire slid right into place. The year used an extra spacer and had to grind off a little lip on my swingarm. The brake brace also needed bent slightly to fit around the wider tire.
                Any pic's to share?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs1100 View Post
                  OK, another question about using a 91 GSXR 750 rear wheel... I will be going to a 530 chain.... Has anyone doen this swap and may know off hand what amount of off-set to use for the front sprocket?
                  To use my GSXR 89 4.5"wheel, I'm using a 13 mm offset sprocket.
                  I'm not sure what's required for larger wheels?
                  sigpicJohn Kat
                  My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Where can these 530 offset sprockets be obtained? Fitting 5.5 inch and 170 tyre into GS 1150 std swing arm. Cannot find a listing for 530 offset`s, anybody do 520`s?
                    Thank`s from Australia.

Comment

I bought mine here: http://www.drivesystemsusa.com/p/359...sprocket-.html.
                      You might also look here:http://www.suzuki-katana.com/sprockets_gearing.html
                      sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Thank`s John Kat, i just found a listing for offset 530 on the Pingle site. A good range of teeth as well.
                        Beamer12

Comment

Working...
                        X