Cleaning up caliper bores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning up caliper bores

I've got lots of hardened old brake fluid in the grooves of my caliper bores. Been scraping it out w/ a jeweler's screwdriver and magnifying glass - it's getting old real quick . . . Anything I can soak these in to soften up the crud?

grab a dremel and a brass wire brush on the end, will get it clean quick

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
      grab a dremel and a brass wire brush on the end, will get it clean quick
      You can use a steel-bristled wheel, too.

Either way, please use eye protection, those bristles fly very easily.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

yes do wear eye protection....

I did not want to use the steel bristle ones as I was afraid of damaging the calipers, by gouging a groove or something

Comment

NO WIRE BRUSHES ON ALUMINUM!!!!!! They can leave uneven bore width from them basically grinding the bore up. If your planning on repainting them or the finish is waxed, I suggest you throw it in a can of laquer thinner for a few hrs and that will soften the gunk up. Also you never want to wire wheel things like heads and engine case and covers to get the old gaskets off. This leaves low spots and grooves in them that almost always result in a leaky gasket thats a Biitch to get to seal.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-04-2012, 01:38 AM.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            NO WIRE BRUSHES ON ALUMINUM!!!!!! They can leave uneven bore width from them basically grinding the bore up.
            If the piston needed to seal to the bore, I might agree with you, Chuck, but a light touch with ANY wheel, and limited to the area where the rubber seal rides in the groove, will remove any stubborn crud without damaging the caliper.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thats why I asked about the finish and his intentions about repainting...the laquer thinner will soak it off without any worry of any bore damage at that point. IF , as a last resort, I would use something like a gun cleaning brush and do it by hand. High speed Dremels would scare me off because ( to me ) its just too easy to scrub a dimple in there and then yiour basically screwed. Dollar store near me has what look like tooth brushes but have brass and stainless bristles. Those would be ideal and more controllable.
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-04-2012, 01:37 AM.
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

OR...How about an overnight soak in some vinegar or carb dip?? some penetrating oil and a green dish scrubby may also scrub the groove out well. That grey scaley craps a bugger..I am very aware!!!!

Comment

Steve..By "bore" I was referring to the Bore of the groove the seal slips in. I wouldnt want to get it out of round for fear the seal wouldnt snug up perfectly around the piston..Does that make more sense??

Comment

Thanks so much for all the input guys. I'll start w/ the vinegar soak and go from there.

Comment

Vinegar will take a day or 2..overnight in some berrymans should get them real nice inside..regular tooth brush to spiffy them up and they will be good for another 30 years!!!

Comment

Steve..By "bore" I was referring to the Bore of the groove the seal slips in. I wouldnt want to get it out of round for fear the seal wouldnt snug up perfectly around the piston..Does that make more sense??
                        OK, that's fine. Some people are of the impression that the inside of the caliper needs to be spotlessly clean because it needs to seal against the piston. In fact, the piston only touches the rubber seal, so the rest of the cavity really does not matter, as long as it's nothing that will affect proper operation.

I still stay that a light touch with a wire wheel won't hurt the groove (bore) that the seal sits in.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Well, It kinda DOES matter in the sense that I wouldnt want any of the scale getting in between the seal and piston and causing a leak..or the stuff getting around and contaminating the brake fluid.

Comment

Well, It kinda DOES matter in the sense that I wouldnt want any of the scale getting in between the seal and piston and causing a leak..or the stuff getting around and contaminating the brake fluid.
                            I believe that falls into the "as long as it's nothing that will affect proper operation" category.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

I've cleaned and rebuilt about 15 calipers in the last 5 years.Of those 6 had pitted, rusted or cracked/missing chroming on the pistons. Each of those 6 calipers also had concretions on the sides of the bores hard enough to require scraping. On the advice of my pro-wrench I used the dremel brush technique to clean them up.

I think, like plaque in a human artery, if any of that crud breaks off or remains in the bore it stands a good chance of plugging the "in" line or working its way passed the seal or possibly damaging it. The chances might be slim of this happening but I'm not keen on a possible problem so I'd rather clean it up when I find it.

Out of habit now I routinely dissassemble, clean and rebuild the calipers on any new to me bike and I'm doing that this weekend on the 550. I'm convinced that folks generally don't give a moments thought about their brakes unless there is an obvious issue. You can tell right away how well they've been looked afterwith a quick peek at the colour of the fluid. Everyone I've looked at has been brown to black. Call me paranoid, but an ounce of prevention is always better than a pound of cure.

Ride safely friends.
                              spyug

Comment

Working...
                              X