Stripped rear caliper bleeder hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped rear caliper bleeder hole

The rear caliper outer bleeder hole on my '80 850g has pretty badly stripped threads. If I can't chase the threads, does anyone have any other ideas? Can I drill a larger hole and tap for a larger bleeder, or just start looking for another caliper?

I'm sure you can drill and tap for a larger screw but I wonder if the hassle is worth it. I would think you can find a used one easily enough and I'll bet there are guys here waiting to sell you one

Nice thing about these old crocks, there are still lots of parts around.

Good luck with it and let us know what you end up doing.

Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
      The rear caliper outer bleeder hole on my '80 850g has pretty badly stripped threads. If I can't chase the threads, does anyone have any other ideas? Can I drill a larger hole and tap for a larger bleeder, or just start looking for another caliper?
      I might have a spare rear caliper that will need rebuilding.
      You could try going to another bleeder valve from something else, or you can drill it, and press in an aluminum slug, then drill and tap it again.

Comment

In the past, I've re-drilled many bleeders for friends who gorilla tightened them only to strip them later, they even sell kits at most auto part stores that come with the new tap, I've got a selection of used bleeders, some may be larger, pm me if you go this route, I'll mail a couple for you to try, let me know what size yours is initially, I'll see what taps match up to the bleeders I have, maybe the next size up will do.

Comment

Thanks Brent. For now I'm gonna try going up a size by drilling and tapping a new hole if I can't clean up these threads. Thanks Old School, I'll certainly pm you if I need a larger bleeder.

Comment

You can just tap a thread in there any size and whack a bolt in to seal it off. You can bleed the rear caliper very easily on just the one bleed screw.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Get it helicoiled and it will never give grief again.Pretty cheap and metric sets are commonly available.

Comment

Bottoming tap right??? So as not to mess up the meshing of the tip into the taper at the botom of the calipers hole..right?? Ive never had to do one. That tip seats in the taper to seal the screw off right?
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-08-2012, 08:33 PM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yes Chuck - right, right, and right. I was able to clean up the threads w/out having to drill a new larger hole.

Comment

As Chuck was pointing out the bleeder screw relies on the bottom taper to seal, not the threads.

These kits are available from most auto parts stores (NAPA, etc) and can salvage a real bad problem. Loctite makes a plumbing sealing paste 565 that works well to get the sleeve locked in the housing after the rework.

Comment

Working...
                    X