Short shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short shocks

I'm gonna lower my bike a little so my feet will be flat on the ground.
    First I'll slide the forks up the tree as much as I can, up to 2".
    On the back I want to use some short shocks. 11" or 12" should be plenty.
    I would like to get some opinions on which shocks to get.

Here's a set of 12" on eBay at about the right price, but I don't know anything of the quality.

I think they're kinda ugly.

A set of 11 1/4" on eBay, about the same price and look much better, but still not sure of the quality.

Are there others that you guys think would be better?

How can you get the forks up the trees two inches without running into the bars?
    And even if you can, it's a horrible idea because your gonna shorten up your suspension to the point that your fender can smash into your lower clamp or your exhaust etc if you hit a good bump. Especially if you are still running sacked out stock fork springs.

If you need to get your seat height lower to feel like you have a comfortable base at a stop (which By the way it's good practice to cover the rear brake when stopped, with only one foot down...) consider cutting down the seat foam, or narrowing it some. I dunno if you still have it but that big honker road couch you have on there is wide, and will splay your legs out making them effectively shorter. If you cut some of the width out of the foam, you'll find it much easier to get flat footed. My wife is 5'7 and can flat foot a stock seated 750 like yours. But the 550L I bought her, which has a lower seat height but wider seat she couldn't.

And on the rear, the shortest GS shocks were some of the shaftie shocks (eye to eye, you need eye to clevis) at 12 or 12.5". Any shorter than that and you run the risk of bottoming out the wheel into the fender unless you use uncomfortably stiff springs.

I can see lowering it maybe a half inch both front and back, but I wouldn't go much more that that...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      How can you get the forks up the trees two inches without running into the bars?
      I didn't think I could actually go 2" without some kind of riser, but I'd like to go up to 2" if I can find a way.

consider cutting down the seat foam, or narrowing it some.
      Oh, I have considered it. And I may yet do that. But only as a last resort.

the shortest GS shocks were some of the shaftie shocks (eye to eye, you need eye to clevis) at 12 or 12.5".
      Both the shocks on eBay that I listed above are eye to clevis. One is 12" and the other is 11 1/4".

At least I can always raise it back up if it's too low.
      I'd still like to have some idea of the quality of those shocks on eBay.

Comment

Taken from BassCliff's mega-welcome message... MDI is the brand of the 11 1/4" you linked to.

**********Quoted from Mr. Griffin**********
        For suspension upgrades, the front end is pretty simple: Progressive brand springs and fresh 15W fork oil. (http://www.mawonline.com has pretty good prices on Progressive products.)

(If you need extra heavy spring rate for your forks (for bigger riders or heavy loads) try Sonic Fork Springs. There's an online tool for calculating the proper spring rate according to your bike, weight, riding style, etc.)
        The rear end isn't so simple.
        Most of these brands are available in 'eye to eye' and 'eye to clevis' configurations, in different lengths for twin shock GS models. The options are arranged in order of price, low to high.

1. $65-$90 Emgo/MDI: Found all over ebay, and at about every vendor on the internet. General consensus of users seems to be that they are ok quality, but very stiffly sprung. Essentially the bare minimum option from stock. (For example, see: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/rear_shocks.htm)
        2. $120 Redwing: Evidently no longer made, they are still available at www.loudfastugly.com (and omarsdtr.com). I've not been able to find anyone who's actually used them, but they appear to be of halfway decent quality.

3. $210-$230 Progressive 12 Series: Lots of information here and all over the web about them. Most people seem happy with them, several different spring weights available. Available at most online retailers. www.denniskirk.com is a vendor I have had great luck with over the years.

4. $218-$270 Hagon Type A: Seem very similar to Progressive 12 series as far as owner satisfaction, quality of construction, and price. Available in the USA at www.davequinnmotorcycles.com

5. $320-$400+ Ikon 76 Series: Generally pretty highly regarded, lots of options available. From what I've read on the internet, they do seem to be more highly regarded than Progressive. Can be found at http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/servlet/StoreFront

6. $419-$589 Works Performance Steel Tracker: Very highly regarded, lots of positive reviews around the internet of Works Performance in general. Customer service (including rebuilding any brand of shock) is very highly rated. More info at http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

There are other options available that can be more expensive, including offerings from Works, Ikon, Ohlins. White Brothers, once a powerhouse in the motorcycle industry, has ceased operations.
        (Note from BassCliff: Also check out YSS Suspension at http://www.yssusa.com/products_yss.html.)
        **********End Quote**********
        Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2012, 08:15 AM.

Comment

They do make smaller motorcycles.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have a set of new IKON 12" for sale for nearly half what is listed there

Originally posted by mmain1 View Post
            Taken from BassCliff's mega-welcome message... MDI is the brand of the 11 1/4" you linked to.

**********Quoted from Mr. Griffin**********
            For suspension upgrades, the front end is pretty simple: Progressive brand springs and fresh 15W fork oil. (http://www.mawonline.com has pretty good prices on Progressive products.)

(If you need extra heavy spring rate for your forks (for bigger riders or heavy loads) try Sonic Fork Springs. There's an online tool for calculating the proper spring rate according to your bike, weight, riding style, etc.)
            The rear end isn't so simple.
            Most of these brands are available in 'eye to eye' and 'eye to clevis' configurations, in different lengths for twin shock GS models. The options are arranged in order of price, low to high.

1. $65-$90 Emgo/MDI: Found all over ebay, and at about every vendor on the internet. General consensus of users seems to be that they are ok quality, but very stiffly sprung. Essentially the bare minimum option from stock. (For example, see: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/rear_shocks.htm)
            2. $120 Redwing: Evidently no longer made, they are still available at www.loudfastugly.com (and omarsdtr.com). I've not been able to find anyone who's actually used them, but they appear to be of halfway decent quality.

3. $210-$230 Progressive 12 Series: Lots of information here and all over the web about them. Most people seem happy with them, several different spring weights available. Available at most online retailers. www.denniskirk.com is a vendor I have had great luck with over the years.

4. $218-$270 Hagon Type A: Seem very similar to Progressive 12 series as far as owner satisfaction, quality of construction, and price. Available in the USA at www.davequinnmotorcycles.com

5. $320-$400+ Ikon 76 Series: Generally pretty highly regarded, lots of options available. From what I've read on the internet, they do seem to be more highly regarded than Progressive. Can be found at http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/servlet/StoreFront

6. $419-$589 Works Performance Steel Tracker: Very highly regarded, lots of positive reviews around the internet of Works Performance in general. Customer service (including rebuilding any brand of shock) is very highly rated. More info at http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

There are other options available that can be more expensive, including offerings from Works, Ikon, Ohlins. White Brothers, once a powerhouse in the motorcycle industry, has ceased operations.
            (Note from BassCliff: Also check out YSS Suspension at http://www.yssusa.com/products_yss.html.)
            **********End Quote**********
            Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Although I do enjoy simple answers, as opposed to the one by mmain1 directly above yours, I don't particularly like this one.

And mmain1, I'm not going to re-quote all of that again, but I do remember reading all of it in the mega-welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Tom gave you the best answer and here's why. Lowering the suspension on a bike that's already so close to the ground is just asking for trouble. Once you lower it, your kickstand won't open, your center stand will be useless and will most likely drag on the ground with the smallest bump and if you carve hard, you can be sure to drag your exhaust pipes and kickstands on the asphalt, not mentioning killing yourself.

Either you're a novice and are not comfortable riding this bike that you want your feet on the ground or you are way too short that you can't reach the ground. Either way, this bike is not right for you. I know this is not what you wanna hear but don't re-invent the wheel, get something that works.

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
                  Although I do enjoy simple answers, as opposed to the one by mmain1 directly above yours, I don't particularly like this one.

I didn't post it for you to like, I posted it for you to take as good advise.
                  A GS 850G is a big heavy motorcycle, not for short legged newbs by any stretch of the imagination.
                  Your original post did not mention your size or experience, but wanting to flat foot the bike is a sure sign of a new rider.
                  If you are too short for it or not a competent enough rider, it's the wrong bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I didn't intend my reply to sound as short as it does after re-reading it.
                    But I was inquiring only about the quality of the shocks I linked to.
                    And not to whether I should lower the bike or explore other options.
                    There's other modifications I'm considering that may or may not eliminate the concerns mentioned.
                    You have all made valid points, and I agree with most of them.
                    However, I do intend to experiment with many things, lowering the bike included.

Comment

Comment

That's a nice bike and a nice picture. I also get what you're saying.
                        But I'm still only trying to determine the quality of those shocks.
                        Are they worth $80? Are there better shocks that can be had cheaper?

I'm 5'9" and I can ride the bike as it is. It's not a big issue.
                        No I can't flat foot it but I'm not on the very tips of my toes, either.
                        I have no problems with keeping the bike up and steady.

I measured my current shocks at 14" eye to clevis, but I think they are supposed to be 13.5".
                        I think the 12" shocks would be the ideal height.
                        The 11.25" shocks in the first post might be too short, but better quality than the 12".
                        If the 11.25" shocks are too short, I can work with them to get them where I want.
                        Same goes for the 12". I can get them to where I need them.

Comment

Working...
                        X