Fork Seal foibles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Seal foibles

Well sure could use some advice on this, I'm doing the fork seals on my 82 GS1100G and the disassembly went well but I'm having a whale of a time getting the seals out. I'm using BikeCliffs method of pressurizing the forks to roughly 200 psi trying to get them to pop. The dust covers are off, the wire ring and its been sitting for 24 hours with no movement. I've tried loosening the 8mm allen head bolt in the bottom of the forks but all it does is spin and spin and not loosen. On BikeCliffs website there's another method by Matchless that calls for a 19mm bolt to be welded to a 2' long piece of re-bar with a T top to hold the nut from spinning but I don't have a welder to do that with. Any idea's ? greatly appreciated. Cheers Paul

You can just push a broom handle down the tube instead of the threaded rod / nut set up. Push hard and it will hold 99.9% of the time, even on real tough ones.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I used an old cane fishing rod when I did mine 5 years ago.

Comment

Hey Paul!

Long time, no see.

You can also use a long ratchet extension, or maybe two or three, and on the end place a spark plug socket backwards. The outside hex (19mm?) should be the same size as the socket on the bottom of the damper assembly.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by FiftyGS1100G View Post
          On BikeCliffs website there's another method by Matchless that calls for a 19mm bolt to be welded to a 2' long piece of re-bar with a T top to hold the nut from spinning but I don't have a welder to do that with. Any idea's ?
          I don't have a welder, either, so I used a 2' section of 1/2" all-thread and four nuts. Works just as well.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There is an earlier thread discussing fork tools. I have a pic of the one I built on that thread. See if you can find it.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

The upside down spark plug socket with all the 3/8th extensions I own did the job on my 78 1000 forks.

Comment

Okay here the the tool I made for my forks, a length of 1/4 inch hot rolled steel rod, weld a T at the top of the tool and a 19mm nut at the bottom, simple, strong and it works.

carp pic didn't post...
                Last edited by mrbill5491; 04-20-2012, 11:44 AM.
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Okay here is the thread where a pic of my fork tool is, GS Motorcycle Discussion Area #26
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

And, I have seen using a drill/driver to insert 2 drywall screws and pry them out. Use a drill bit to make pilot holes first.
                    -Bookmon

Comment

Dry wall screws? Gotta see the pics.
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                        Okay here the the tool I made for my forks, a length of 1/4 inch hot rolled steel rod, weld a T at the top of the tool and a 19mm nut at the bottom, simple, strong and it works.

carp pic didn't post...
                        See Posting Pictures To GSR.

BassCliff

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                          Dry wall screws? Gotta see the pics.
                          Just run the screws into the seal. Use the screws to pull out the seal. Be careful not to scratch the fork tubes.

I've also heard of people using heat (bottle torch) to partially melt the seals and then dig them out.

BassCliff

Comment

Aaaah to take the seals out...guess I missed something in the post, Thanks. Oh I just use this huge craftsman screw driver I have, works, they pop right out.
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Hmmm, really don't have any issues posting pics, I just upload them right out of my pictures file. The reason the one I said didn't post is it is already posted in a thread somewhere lol and didn't want to replace it.

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                              Hi,

See Posting Pictures To GSR.

BassCliff
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                              X