Rear shocks upside down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shocks upside down

So when I bought the bike I didnt notice that the shocks were upside down. I was told this isn't a serious problem so I've thus far ignored it.

However the chain guard was missing so I ordered a replacement. That finally showed up today and I discovered that because the shocks are on upside down that I cannot install the chain guard.

So what steps do I need to take to safely and properly turn the shocks over? I'm assuming the bike will need to be supported and the springs compressed, but I'm a noob and I want to this right.

Do them one at a time and you shouldn't have any issues. I shouldn't be necessary to lift or support the bike other than have it on its centerstand.

Good luck with it.

Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
      I shouldn't be necessary to lift or support the bike other than have it on its centerstand.

Good luck with it.

Spyug
      I was wondering if I should put a small board under the center stand since the rear tire isnt completely floating when on the center stand, or should that be fine, especially if I onlt take one off at a time?

Comment

No board needed if the shocks are the correct length. Pull off one side, flip it over, then do the other side. The springs come off with the shocks as one unit.

Comment

I just installed new shocks on my GS1100GK. Ideally, you want to get the rear up as high as feasible. I have a small lip (1/2 and inch or so) from the driveway to my garage floor and postion the bike so, when placed on the centerstand, the rear wheel hangs over. Some will place a 2x4 under the centerstand to gain more lift, but, my method works just as well for me.
          Unbolt the top shock bolts first, this will allow the the rear wheel to drop to a point that will allow the bottom shock bolts to loosened and removed without interfering with the exhaust. Then, just reverse the process. It's a bit easier if you have a friend to lift the rear wheel when re-installing the top mounts.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
            The springs come off with the shocks as one unit.
            Yea I was thinking (not sure why) that the shocks would still need to be compressed even with the weight of the bike off the shocks. Thinking more about it that doesn't make a lot of sense but better to know from veterans like you guys than go into it ignorant and take an expensive trip to the ER.

Comment

One more thing, I'm not sure what the torque spec is for the shock bolts, but, there isn't any need for "gorilla" torque, just nice and tight will do. The forces on the shock are mostly horizontal, not laterally.
              I've seen to many bikes with the shock bolts broken from someone try to tighten them way to much.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                One more thing, I'm not sure what the torque spec is for the shock bolts, but, there isn't any need for "gorilla" torque, just nice and tight will do. The forces on the shock are mostly horizontal, not laterally.
                I've seen to many bikes with the shock bolts broken from someone try to tighten them way to much.
                Yea, given the apparent history of this bike I'm a little worried about the condition of the studs/threads. <fingers crossed>

Comment

Looks like the lower nuts are partial blocked by the mufflers. Will just loosening the rear hanging bolt be enough to gain the needed clearance? I have issues with my left-side exhaust. No leaks but I'm worried that if I fool with it too much I will end up with a much larger project on my hands.

Comment

loosen the rear muffler hanger bolt almost all the way out..pull the muffler away from the head and it should have enough clearance.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Shocks are made differently to run inverted (upside down) you can't just flip shocks over and expect them to work like they're supposed to. You need to find out what you have. some latter model bikes come with inverted shocks that will fit your bike. They are longer and provide a smoother ride, That may be what you have if both wheels are touching the ground when on the centerstand. Turning them over will introduce air in the valving and cause a loss of damping. Measure them from eye center to eye center. If they are longer than 12" they are from a later model bike and are intended for inverted running. Don't flip them. If they are 13 1/2" to 14" long, I'm looking for a set of those and would be interested in them if you deside to replace them with the right shocks for your bike.

Comment

Originally posted by GSexpress View Post
                        Shocks are made differently to run inverted (upside down) you can't just flip shocks over and expect them to work like they're supposed to. You need to find out what you have. some latter model bikes come with inverted shocks that will fit your bike. They are longer and provide a smoother ride, That may be what you have if both wheels are touching the ground when on the centerstand. Turning them over will introduce air in the valving and cause a loss of damping. Measure them from eye center to eye center. If they are longer than 12" they are from a later model bike and are intended for inverted running. Don't flip them. If they are 13 1/2" to 14" long, I'm looking for a set of those and would be interested in them if you deside to replace them with the right shocks for your bike.
                        Good to know. Looking at different bikes I've seen that they don't seem quite as tall as my bike (I'm 6 ft tall and still unable to sit flat footed). Not looking to replace any time soon (not in the budget just yet) and they are still working. I just may have to wait to put my chain guard on. I'll measure the shocks at lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                          Good to know. Looking at different bikes I've seen that they don't seem quite as tall as my bike (I'm 6 ft tall and still unable to sit flat footed). Not looking to replace any time soon (not in the budget just yet) and they are still working. I just may have to wait to put my chain guard on. I'll measure the shocks at lunch.
                          There are folks on here with surplus used shocks that would sell them for a reasonable price. Just place a parts wanted add. I would probably pay the same for yours (if they're the right ones) all you'd be out is the shipping.

Comment

How about a picture of these shocks?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No need to mess with the exhaust..

Get the bike on the center stand (on a board if necessary to get the wheel just clear of the floor)

unbolt the tops of both shocks and pull them off the studs..

lift rear wheel enough to get the lower bolts clear of the mufflers and put a block under the wheel to hold it there.

I do the same thing to access the rear axle bolt.

Comment

Working...
                              X