No announcement yet.

Adding zerk fittings to rear swing arm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The washer goes inside the end caps..which by the way have a built in rubber seal that needs to be checked. Did you doscover yet that the bearings go i to just the tube part up front and that the entire swing arm isnt one continuous U shape?
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yup- it was a thrust washer left out by some newbie...surprisingly those bearings are still in great shape...they won't get replaced this month...

Comment

I was so busy playing with grease and bearings that I forgot to see how that tube was formed! Rubber? ught oh!

Comment

well I'll be dog gone...there was rubber in there! Had to walk away from it......it sure was easier to assemble before (wrong) without those washers...another pair of hands would be helpful...lost count how many times those caps fell off the end while trying to push that swing arm where it needs to go..WHere's that sawzall?

Comment

Tore it down a second time. This time the parts came apart and got cleaned, inspected and lubed properly. Reinstalled. Bolt went through and came out with buggered threads. Removed bolt. Repaired threads and made a pencil shaped punch from a piece of 9/16 bolt. Inserted pencil piece first as a guide to lign everything up and pushed the pencil through with the swing arm shaft (bolt).
            It's all done now. Bearings are in good shape and properly lubed. Everything is reassembled and torqued.
            Next-.....!

Comment

Next is you wait thrity years and do it all over again.

Comment

Next time I pull it apart- I'll have NEW bearings to knock in there out of GP (general principle)...

Comment

How old are you? If your under 45 then just MAYBE in your lifetime they will need replaced.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'm 45.5 yrs now. I'll remember to replace 'em sometime before my 70th birthday!

Comment

Originally posted by surviverguy View Post
                      The swin arm looks hollow as one "n" shaped assembly ...
                      Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Did you doscover yet that the bearings go i to just the tube part up front and that the entire swing arm isnt one continuous U shape?
                      Originally posted by surviverguy View Post
                      I was so busy playing with grease and bearings that I forgot to see how that tube was formed!
                      Just looking at the tube, I don't see why Suzuki would have cut holes in the cross-tube to open it up to the legs leading to the axle.

I don't have any chain-driven bikes , so I can't check for you (shafty bearings are tapered rollers),
                      but I think that if you really insist on adding Zerk fittings, they should be in the cross-tube, not the legs.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just pulled off my stock steel swing arm getting it ready for my alloy swap...I checked my old steel swing arm bearings and low and behold, the grease was still very fresh and bearing were fully greased yet and that has been since '94 when I had it last off to service.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                        X