Tallest tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tallest tire?

It's time for new tires, and the current Dunlop K627a thats on the rear of the bike is no longer available. It is the tallest and fattest 130/90-17 I've ever seen, and I dig the look.

Does anyone know of a tall, fat 130 I can use?

Originally posted by fnkvn View Post
    It's time for new tires, and the current Dunlop K627a thats on the rear of the bike is no longer available. It is the tallest and fattest 130/90-17 I've ever seen, and I dig the look.

Does anyone know of a tall, fat 130 I can use?
    I think the road rider (Avon AM26) comes in 130/90

Comment

I thought you were staying out of these threads?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

is this question really that much of a bother, tkent02? Several searches didn't turn up what I was looking for, so I merely asked if there is a tire that is comparable to the (original?) tire that came on this bike. I wasn't asking how wide of a tire I could fit on the stock rim.

Comment

No, it's not. If my jokes are too much of a bother for you, quit reading them.
          You can put a truck tire on it for all I care.

Comment

For a 130/90, the tire should be 90% as tall as it is wide. I'm not aware of any 130/100 tires so the 90 is as tall as it gets. And while there are minor differences between the width of different tire brands/models, this difference isn't really enough to worry about in the grand scheme.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks. I do know how tires are sized, and after measuring the K627 tire (5 3/8" overall width) compared to a newer Dunlop 491 (5 1/4" overall width), I am thinking the way the tread wraps around the tire on the 627 is accounting for the overall visual effct. The bike has 6200 miles, and it is entirely possible that the tire is the factory tire. I can't find a date code chart that goes back that far. I know there are a lot of resto guys on here, and if there was a tire that a lot of restoration guys are using to match the original - that is what I am looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by fnkvn View Post
                The bike has 6200 miles, and it is entirely possible that the tire is the factory tire.
                Is there a date code?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  I thought you were staying out of these threads?
                  I did too.
                  And to be the FIRST responder yet.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Is there a date code?
                    Indeed. 4003. 40th week of 2003? Not nearly as old as I thought, but hard as a rock and dry rotted. It may have spent a lot of time in the sun!

Anyhow, I'll do some searching. Not as easy to compare motorcycle tires in person as it is with cars, so if there isn't a "standard" that folks use (as far as brand), then I'll see what I can find. I should have an airbox next week, along with the rest of the stuff to do the carbs. I'd like better tires before I do much more than test laps!`

I forgot to mention - the front tire date code is PKJ058. I tried searching that one to no avail.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2012, 06:21 PM. Reason: added front date code.

Comment

Three digits I believe was made in the eighties, so 058 is the fifth week of 1988.

Nope, three digits were made in the nineties, that a 1998 tire.
                      Last edited by tkent02; 05-04-2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Why are you looking for a tall tire? On cars it means you trade handling for traction but maybe it's different for bikes.

Comment

Just not wanting to end up with a skinny, squatty little tire. I've found differences of as much as 1/4" on different brand tires of the same size designation, so I thought I might get a good recommendation from another member. Thats about it.

Comment

fnkvn, I plan on using Shinko's on my build. I know it's not any help for what you are asking, I posted mainly to let you know not all restorers are trying for the exact same size and tread shape as these beasts came with from the factory.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                              fnkvn, I plan on using Shinko's on my build. I know it's not any help for what you are asking, I posted mainly to let you know not all restorers are trying for the exact same size and tread shape as these beasts came with from the factory.
                              Thanks. I did find an ebay seller that has a stack of the 627's for 48.00, but I am sure they are old stock. Maybe really old....

Comment

Working...
                              X