Rusty Fork Tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty Fork Tube

I was removing the fork tube so I could remove headlight mount to straighten it. I don't know what I was thinking, but I removed the modulator valve and of course fork oil poured out all over the floor. So after looking at the top of forks to see where I add fork oil, I found this:

I would love to be told I'm wrong, but I assume there must be some sort of a hex head plug under that rust that I must remove to add fork oil as the manual shows the fork oil going it the top of the fork? It is an '84 GS750E, btw.

Somebody please tell me I'm an idiot and there is another way to replace the fork oil.

I think there should be schrader valves in the rusted caps.

The affair is held in by a retainer ring. You should be able to push the cap in and use an appropriate tool to get the ring out.

Check the maual or fiche for your bike though.

Penetrating fluid may help.

No heat as there is probably a big old o-ring on the cap.

Comment

I'd get some EvapoRust and fill up the cup area and let it soak for a day or two.

Rusty is right about there being a spring clip holding the cap in place. Press down then take a tiny pick or screwdriver and dig the clip out to release the cap.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Now I'm thoroughly confused....I thought this was the Schrader valve

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

ooops.
          Now I am off to the fiche

If you use a bit of abrasive cleanser and steel woll you could probably clean most of the rust out of the cap area.

As for the clip use eye protection.

I have to checck the fich There now look like the 750 forks I had on my parts bike. but those had caps with a hex that screwed off.

Comment

Atlantic Canada???
            Dude what is the yr and model of the bike.

it looks like a mid 80s instrument panel.

Comment

Originally posted by flatty_420 View Post
              .......... It is an '84 GS750E, btw.
              I have trouble with the online fiche.....I'm told this is an 84, but it only seems to list 83 750e

Comment

Are there holes in the upper portion of the stanchion?
                The rings with the schrader valves cover these holes.

A few of the guys have this bike and should be able to clarify things.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  Are there holes in the upper portion of the stanchion?
                  The rings with the schrader valves cover these holes.
                  Yes, there is one hole and the schrader valve ring covers it...

Comment

Buried somewhere under that rust is a circlip once you remove the circlip the plug will come up and out. That is, it will on a bike that is clean and not corroded.

Comment

One way to see if they are stuck fast is to push down hard on the cap.
                      But that is when they are int he triple tree. Oh well yah can always slap em back in there.

Comment

Originally posted by rwcfrank View Post
                        Buried somewhere under that rust is a circlip once you remove the circlip the plug will come up and out. That is, it will on a bike that is clean and not corroded.
                        Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                        One way to see if they are stuck fast is to push down hard on the cap.
                        But that is when they are int he triple tree. Oh well yah can always slap em back in there.
                        Ok, I get it now. Push cap down to remove pressure, remove circlip, cap comes off, oil goes in, reverse steps, add air, ride. Sound right?

Comment

Originally posted by flatty_420 View Post
                          Ok, I get it now. Push cap down to remove pressure, remove circlip, cap comes off, oil goes in, reverse steps, add air, ride. Sound right?
                          Thats right but having a friend help is advised.
                          Be careful not to cock the caps sideways.
                          Wear eye protection.
                          The circlip is a thin nasty little thing so a hard tool is required.

Comment

OK, will try this tomorrow. Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Alrighty, I got the clips out...the caps are still in there. I used a hammer and socket to push the caps down so I could get the clips out. I did not expect the caps to stay down...I suspect between the rust buildup and the fact that the front end is jacked up is why they are staying down. I assume/hope they will come out once the tire is back on the ground and the pressure back on the springs. I will find out after supper.

Comment

Working...
                              X