Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake light don't come on until I squeeze the front brakes real hard - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake light don't come on until I squeeze the front brakes real hard - why?

As the title says..

I've got a '83 GS550, the front and rear brake have the same issue where I have to absolutely clamp on the brake levels for the brake light to come on , any way I can adjust that?

some more info :

1) Both front and rear brakes work fine in low to medium pressure braking. It's just that the brake light won't light up "brighter" until I squeeze the daylight out of it.

2) Brake fluid hasn't been changed in forever. Rear brake reservoir has good oil level, front brake fluid box / window is totally gunked up. Time for a brake fluid change anyway.

3) Front brake is squealing. Pads will need replacement.

Thanks for all the info!

Adjust your brake light switch in the handle bars. All it is is a little contact that is triggered when a spring loaded plate moves over it via the brake lever.

It might be dirty and only have enough exposure at full throw, or it is likely just out of whack. Check this link for info: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...tch_repair.pdf

Comment

As Gonzo says, adjust the brake light switch. Should take you all of 2 min. Simply loosen the two Phillips head screws and slide the contact a little. Of far more significance though is the condition of the system in general. If the fluid is dark and thick you must perform a full system tear down, including the calipers and master cylinder. The brake lines should be replaced as well. This is not difficult work, just messy. Brakes are nothing to mess around with since you life depends on them. Hope you don't try to short cut or skip this critical maintenance.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

if you take the front brake light switch apart be very careful to not lose the tiny spring and contact pieces inside.

and if you do, or it's not adjustable anymore i know you can buy new ones on the ebay for less than $10.
        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
        82 gs1100L probably the next project
        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

i know you can buy new ones on the ebay for less than $10.
          And any decent bike shop should have them or be able to get them. The switch is also used for the ignition interrupt on the clutch side too so they are common and used not only on Zuks.

As mentioned, however, don't worry about this until you sort out those brakes....you never know when you will need them to work right.

Cheers,
          spyug

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Toy Maker,

You'll find a front brake switch cleanup/repair guide on my little website. Rotate the whole assembly upside down on the handlebar before you take it apart (only two screws) so that the little parts in there won't drop to the floor and get lost. Ask me how I know.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

What BassCliff said. Buy several of these (cheap insurance) since the housing eventually cracks and becomes useless. I think I have about 4 for each side and have a spare for each side in my saddle bags.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info. BassCliff your website is massive! I shall ogle upon it every so often.

Got the brake sensor cleaned , it's just like what you guys described in the picture.

The spring was so rusted that 2 rings snapped off when I took it out of the pastic housing. But no matter I cleaned everything and put both pieces of spring back, it still provides tension so all is well.

However the two M2 screws holding the housing is also rusted , local hardware stores didn't have anything small enough, will try the local hobby store next.

As for the the brake fluid ... well the container screws were also rusted and stripped. Gonna have to bore them out or something. Yikes.

Next question, how to fix a broke guage light? I will post on the elec. section...

Thanks again everyone!
                I am not too mechanically inclined but am trying to do what I can!

Comment

The screws are stripped because they are JIS (Japanese International Standard) Phillips, which do not play well with our SAE Phillips screwdrivers. Once you get them out, replace them with stainless allen screws. No more issues.

Comment

Working...
                  X