Re: 82 gs 1100 suzuki e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 82 gs 1100 suzuki e

I have a very hard time getting this bike up on the centerstand. Could it be that the spring is worn? If so, what is the best way to change it?

Originally posted by tjb View Post
    I have a very hard time getting this bike up on the centerstand. Could it be that the spring is worn? If so, what is the best way to change it?
    Do you mean the center stand spring?
    If so, it doesn't make a difference...you could take the spring off and it would still go up on stand the same...

If you are talking about your suspension springs, yes...that could make a difference...

Perhaps we need to review your technique?
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

It takes a little practice, you must get both legs of the stand touching the ground, I don't have too much of a problem with my '82 GS1100EZ, however my '79 GS1000E always takes me two tries.
      Intimidated by the centerstand of your motorcycle? Wonder how in the world you can get a 500lb (or greater) bike up onto that stand? This video shows step-...
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

It's not the spring, it's your technique. After standing the bike upright, simultaneously stand on the foot tang with your full weight, and pull up with the grab handle. Takes some practice.

EDIT: those other guys posted while I was typing.
        Last edited by Nessism; 05-29-2012, 08:29 PM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My '82 GS1100E is far and away the easiest of all my GSes to put on its centerstand (even easier than the 450E). When I put my weight on the centerstand tang, it almost jumps up. I actually have to take it easy or the bike gets up there too quickly and rocks forwards.

The '78 GS1000E is a different story altogether. Even with proper technique, it's a bit of a bitch.

Technique is everything
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            My '82 GS1100E is far and away the easiest of all my GSes to put on its centerstand (even easier than the 450E). When I put my weight on the centerstand tang, it almost jumps up. I actually have to take it easy or the bike gets up there too quickly and rocks forwards.

The '78 GS1000E is a different story altogether. Even with proper technique, it's a bit of a bitch.

Technique is everything
            I guess we're birds of a feather having both a '82 GS1100E and a GS1000E. I was always led to believe it was me and not the bike with the difficulty getting the 1000 on the centerstand. I once saw it mentioned in a road test about the 1000. What's weird is it's 10lbs lighter than the 1100.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
              I guess we're birds of a feather having both a '82 GS1100E and a GS1000E. I was always led to believe it was me and not the bike with the difficulty getting the 1000 on the centerstand. I once saw it mentioned in a road test about the 1000. What's weird is it's 10lbs lighter than the 1100.
              I think it probably has something to do with weight distribution fore/aft, location of the centerstand to that weight balance, and how high the center of gravity is. The 1100E weighs almost 200 lbs. more than the 450E, yet is easier to get on the centerstand. The 1000G weighs 50 more lbs. than the 1000E, and it's a cinch compared to the 1000E.

The 450E's centerstand is pretty far aft, and if the bike weighed the same as a 1000, it would be a struggle. Because it is so light though, it's easy enough.
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

As mentioned it is all in the technique and its most important that both feet of the stand are down on level ground. At first this may put you off as the bike feels off balance as its away from your body and may fall to the right I't won't.

Contrary to what some say, its also not so much a pull up as a push down on the foot pad of the stand or at least that's how it feels to me. Pushing down straightens the leg and thus the whole body. The arm naturally comes up with it too as does the back end of the bike. I don't feel any lifting of my arm.

Each bike is different as they say. My heavier 750 seems to come up easier than my lighter 550 and I'm sure that has to do with weight distribution.

With practic it becomes easy, just remember that you must have both feet of the stand down and level before you attempt it.

Good luck and let us know when you have it figured.

Cheers,
                spyug

Comment

Working...
                X