X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
    Pictures soon.....

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

They should be recalled. All of them.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
        They should be recalled. All of them.
        Didnt want to come off as a complainer but If you build and sell something that's considered a criticle component it better be right. I build airplane control surfaces and if somethings not right you better bet Im gonna hear about it.

I did some "AVON ROAD RIDER" name dropping to a couple different agencies....

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Didnt want to come off as a complainer but If you build and sell something that's considered a criticle component it better be right. I build airplane control surfaces and if somethings not right you better bet Im gonna hear about it.

I did some "AVON ROAD RIDER" name dropping to a couple different agencies....

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)

I really like these tires but I hate the cracks especially since they seem to be sporadic. It makes the decision to switch ever so much harder.
          Since I went GSXR on my wheels thankfully I don't have to make that decision any more.

Comment

I purchased an Avon AM 26 Roadrider set of tires last year 2012. I put only 5000 km on them and the rear tire showed side wall cracking as well. I really like the ride they give so I am in the process of getting a warranty exchange. I found Avon Tire company to be most cooperative, currently waiting for a new tire to be shipped then I will try it. Could be just a bad batch made in 2011. Will carefully watch the new tire when I put it on. It seems the faulty tires I have heard about were produced in 2011 and of a certain size 130/90/17, that is the size I have.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2013, 01:25 AM. Reason: added picture

Comment

I'm really starting to think the cold weather has something to do with it.

Pictures soon.....
              I was thinking the same thing about the cold weather having something to do with it. I'm in Florida, no cracks, two bikes, two sets of Avon's. I was thinking that during the cold winter months the pressure on the tires will be reduced dramatically if not kept up, then when you put increase the air to go riding in the warmer months it stretches that rubber.
              The only problem with this train of thought is why then don't they crack when you put air in them when they're new? Is it because they're older now, lost some elasticity?
              I don't put a whole lot of air in mine, actually the bike manufacturers recommended pressure works very well for me.

This is my oldest Roadrider, manufacture date of 2508, (getting long on the tooth), stills has good tread, no cracking anywhere. Even though it about 5 years old, it's gonna go the distance.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I had cracked tires sitting in my garage in Santa Barbara, temps got as low as mid 50's

Comment

Dave,
                  I'm sorry you are having problems with the tire again.
                  I checked with our Returns on this and we haven't had any similar issues logged in.
                  Please return this back to us for Warranty Evaluation like before.
                  Thank you,
                  Ron

Customer Service
                  Dennis Kirk, Inc.

(800) 328-9280 ext. 2208
                  (320) 358-4791 ext. 2208

Dave, do you still have the old tire. Could you advise what the date code is on that tire and the new one that is now cracking and also the size of the tire. It looks like a Venom and I can see what looks like 130/90…

Best regards,

Sukoshi Fahey (Ms.)

Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America
                  4600 Prosper Dr. Stow, OH 44224
                  800-624-7470 x 3135 www.avonmoto.com

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************

Sukoshi,

Both tires are/were Road Riders. 130/90-17

The code on the new tire is 2910. I don't have the old one. Its code was 3209. I sent it back to the vendor (Dennis Kirk) for evaluation. They deemed it defective and sent me a new one. Strange thing is I have a 100/90-19 Road Rider, date code 0510, on the front that looks perfect. ????

Regards, Dave
                  Last edited by bonanzadave; 05-28-2013, 10:15 PM.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

There is a design or manufacturing defect. To determine the nature of the defect or defects, tires must be carefully dissected, measured, and chemically analyzed. The defect might be functional or merely cosmetic.

If the defect is functional, it might affect safety. Without knowing the exact nature of the defect, and without functional tests such as high speed wheel tests, it is impossible to say.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Weird, I checked and the return rate on this size is point .1%. Tire definitely needs to be replaced. Let me check our stock tomorrow for dates for freshest tire.

Sukoshi

HI Dave,
                      I didn’t get a chance to have our guy check stock in the warehouse today. I will have him do it tomorrow for sure. Thanks for your patience.

Sukoshi
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

I received this from Avon.....

82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

So in other words, if you get any "cracking" in your tires, it's your fault! I hate companies that don't take any responsiablity for their products. And I do have Avon roadriders on both my bikes.
                          No signature

Comment

Those tires have neither fine line cracking of the side walls, nor groove cracking.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                              So in other words, if you get any "cracking" in your tires, it's your fault! I hate companies that don't take any responsiablity for their products. And I do have Avon roadriders on both my bikes.
                              Not so fast Mr negative......

Okay, I have some with date code of 2011 so I will send out one of those to you. Hopefully there will be no issue with this one. Normally it would need to go back through the dealer but since you have already been inconvenienced once sending it back we will handle directly. Fingers crossed this is a good one. Could you advise an address to ship the tire to and a phone number. Also an address where we can issue a call tag for the old tire.

Sukoshi

Yeah, Im as surprised as you ....
                              Last edited by bonanzadave; 05-30-2013, 11:04 PM.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Not so fast Mr negative......

Okay, I have some with date code of 2011 so I will send out one of those to you. Hopefully there will be no issue with this one. Normally it would need to go back through the dealer but since you have already been inconvenienced once sending it back we will handle directly. Fingers crossed this is a good one. Could you advise an address to ship the tire to and a phone number. Also an address where we can issue a call tag for the old tire.

Sukoshi

Yeah, Im as surprised as you....
                                Good news!! A company doing the right thing.
                                No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X