Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Shaft Drive with Drum Brake

Hi Folks

I am a big Suzuki fan but I am heavily into GV's. I currently own 5 Madura GV1200 and 700 bikes and a Cavalcade GV1400. The question I have is that the Madura came out with spoke rims and although they are beautiful with special flat spokes, I much prefer mags for their safety and longevity. I have converted the four 1200's over to GS mags but the 700 has a Weird shaft and drum setup. I had a very hard time finding this combination in a rear wheel but finally found one in an early intruder but they are extremely rare to find and the matching front is unsuitable for the Madura. I have kept my eye out for a few years now but to no avail.

My question is "Are there any GS models that have a shaft drive and drum brake combination?"

I would sure appreciate it if you would let me know if any of you know of any GS's that have them or ANY Suzuki bike with this rear wheel combination.

If you did a little research on 80's shaft drive 550 and 750 Kawasaki's, you'd find that combo frequently, doubt if that helps you much, but you never know.
    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

How do Madyareh! Hope you've been well!

Comment

Originally posted by Madyareh View Post
        My question is "Are there any GS models that have a shaft drive and drum brake combination?"
        Yes, but it won't help you any.

The 450GA is a shafty with drum brakes, but it's also spoked, and that is what you are trying to get away from.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How much work would be involved changing to a rear disc brake to open up your options?
          Can the rear disc parts off the 1200 not be used on the 700 and hen use the same rims you are using on the 1200?
          I don't know, just an idea, because I am pretty certain that you are not going to find that combo on any other Suzuki, so switch the plan of attack 180 degrees.
          Although, spokes have been on motorcycles since the beginning of time, I see no reason to distrust them.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
            How much work would be involved changing to a rear disc brake to open up your options?
            A lot more work than tightening a spoke or two once every year or so.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi Badooka

Surprise seeing you hanging out here with all these straight aces.

Well I guess there doesn't seem to be much here on wheel conversions.
              I will have to keep looking outside of the GS realm.
              Incidentally is the spline drive on a Honda Yamaha or Kawy at all compatible? I heard that in the 80's most of the wheels on the big four came from one or two main suppliers in Japan...

Comment

Yeah I went back to my GS search and found one. I had to let the Maddy go.
                I looked too for a mag rim for my 700 and had no luck. With all that Madura magic experience you have you'll figure something out my friend!
                Take care and ride on-

Comment

This is the one I used on the 700 but again, the front matching rim is useless.
                  This is how an 86 VS700GLEF or GLEP looks but between the limited year and run quantity good luck finding one.

Comment

Working...
                  X