Brake upgrade!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake upgrade!

I have an 83' GS 450 L. I would like to upgrade to duel front and single rear discs. What are my options without getting crazy?

Front is relatively straight forward I think... I'm pretty sure the 550 front ends are a direct swap, so if there is a dual disc 550 front end (pretty sure there is) then that should be easy enough.

Back end is a different story and would be more involved, but again if there is a 550 with a disc brake then potentially it would be possible...

Typically I'd say try the Salty Monk upgrade but in the case of an L I don't think that applies...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hitman, what is your location? U.S., NSW, Guam, Mars?
      I have a pair of '86 550 forks that might be of some use.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
        Hitman, what is your location? U.S., NSW, Guam, Mars?
        I have a pair of '86 550 forks that might be of some use.

Eric
        Well, I don't live on Mars. O.o But I do live in the good old U.S of A. Detroit, MI. to be exact. I have a local place that can make custom lines for a nice price. I would still need a front rim with twin discs. I figured it would be as easy as a fork swap for the front. But the rear has me scratching my head. I need a master and a rear rim with a disc and I would need to find and or make a strut rod for the caliper. if a 550 has what I need, maybe find a wreaked one cheap somewhere to source parts from? But sure PM me with a price for the forks.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
          Front is relatively straight forward I think... I'm pretty sure the 550 front ends are a direct swap, so if there is a dual disc 550 front end (pretty sure there is) then that should be easy enough.

Back end is a different story and would be more involved, but again if there is a 550 with a disc brake then potentially it would be possible...

Typically I'd say try the Salty Monk upgrade but in the case of an L I don't think that applies...
          It shouldn't be too hard, the 81 550L (like mine) has a rear disc brake.

Comment

Working...
          X