Wheel bearing removal tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel bearing removal tool

Is there any special tool,or a tool that can be made for removing wheel bearings. I'm going to be doing both my front and rear bearings soon and I'm just trying to get all the info I can.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

a long drift is what most people use. slide it down through the centre and you should catch the inner race of the bearing. tap it evenly all the way round until the bearing pops out. catch the spacer then flip the wheel over and drift out the other bearing.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

A long socket extension works. Sometimes the spacer between the bearings is a little tight and needs to be pushed out of the way so you can get onto the edge of the inner race. The ratchet end of the extension should have a sharper lip, so use that to catch the edge of the bearing. Or you can use a thin pipe, or anything else that fits through the bearings.

Driving the bearing out evenly is critical. If you let it get too far sideways, you can deform the bore the bearing is pressed into. Which means the new bearing won't be tight, leading to other headaches, and maybe dangers.

Are the bearings bad, or is this preventive maintenance?
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

One of the best $40 I spent... makes it so easy to get them out. Use the old bearing as a drift to put the new bearing in if you don't have a drift the right size.

Putting the new ones in the freezer the night before helps a little...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          A long socket extension works. Sometimes the spacer between the bearings is a little tight and needs to be pushed out of the way so you can get onto the edge of the inner race. The ratchet end of the extension should have a sharper lip, so use that to catch the edge of the bearing. Or you can use a thin pipe, or anything else that fits through the bearings.

Driving the bearing out evenly is critical. If you let it get too far sideways, you can deform the bore the bearing is pressed into. Which means the new bearing won't be tight, leading to other headaches, and maybe dangers.

Are the bearings bad, or is this preventive maintenance?
          Yeah my front bearings are bad. I had a really bad vibration Saturday night heading back to Josh's house around 70 mph.
          I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
          1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Working...
          X