Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Does This Do? (Suzuki GS 425 Front Brake)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Does This Do? (Suzuki GS 425 Front Brake)

What is the point of this (see circled area)?

There's a it has a rubber boot on it and it looks like it is some sort of a setup to apply more pressure to the brakes once the pads clamp onto the rotor?

I just looked in a parts fiche and the Clymer manual, that caliper does not appear to be stock Suzuki.

EDIT: Sorry about that, I apparently looked at the wrong fiche.

I only saw that you had a 425 and saw that it had straight forks, so I looked at the 425E fiche. That caliper does not have that part.

I then saw that you have a 425L. I looked at that fiche and saw it. There is no comment about it in the Clymer manual.

Can't really tell from the picture and the fiche, does the caliper pivot at all? If it does, it might be some sort of enhancement to braking, sort of "power brakes". As the caliper grips the disk, it is forced forward against a secondary piston, which adds a little more braking force. Convoluted, but possible.

Last edited by Steve; 09-03-2012, 06:30 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i looks to be a way that the caliper self centers..

Comment

It's the same setup as a 78/79 GS1000. There are a couple of pins inside that the caliper slides on. The rubber boot gives it room to move and still keep the dirt out.

Comment

Working...
        X