Lowering Rear End 1982 GS450L - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering Rear End 1982 GS450L - Help!

So this past year my husband and oldest son surprised me with my 1st Motorcycle! A '81 GS 450L that is in pretty good condition and I have been getting to know "her" this past summer. Everything is going fine but if there is one thing I would change asap is the seat height. I'm 5'3" and I am on my toes when I come to a stop!

I'm thinking smaller rear shocks would help, maybe a 2" drop but I have no idea what shocks to use. So has anyone lowered their motorcycles that can give me the exact shock I can get (and where) that will help me out??

Thanks and I will be scouring these posts for information!!

Tracina
    Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2012, 12:39 PM.

Do you have the rear springs on the lightest preload position? Cutting the set foam lower my help. Shorter chocks may be available, 2" is drastic, the forks will need to be lowered a bit too.
    I would say get used to riding more and become comfortable with being on your toes. If you have a toe down on each side that's plenty. Some of my bikes I only can get a toe down on one side, that's OK with me but I'm used to it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks tkent02. My brother was in charge of going through the bike before it was given to me and he said the shocks were set at their lowest setting so I'm thinking that would be the pre-load but I will ask him. I would settle for even 1/2" lower!

Whats the quick way to check this setting?

Comment

Just look at the spring, it sits on a ring with several ramped steps on the other side. To adjust you turn the ring with a special tool to let the spring assume a different length. The longest length is the softest preload, the bike will sit the lowest..

Boots with thicker soles may help!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I just checked them and they are at their lowest setting (spring is longest). Thanks for the help though!
          Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X