No announcement yet.

steering head bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I had a welder but I don't. Plan to try the dremel tool tomorrow. terrylee

Comment

I picked up some long pry bars at Harbor Frieght that I believe would be perfect for reaching down through the steering head. Bwringer came over and helped get mine out and he had a very similar tool. Worked great.

I'm coming through Bloomington on my way to a cross country meet in Bedford--have a big hammer too. Coming down 37. Leaving early, since my son races at 9:30, but will be heading back 11:30 or noon. Shoot me a PM if you want me to bring the tools with me.

Comment

Used my MIG welder when I did mine, ran a bead on the lower race and it came out real easy...
        1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
        1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

Old Rookie, I just saw your reply. Thanks very much for the great offer, but I managed to use the dremel tool and cut two grooves in it and a few taps with chisel into the grooves and piece popped out and the rest came right out. Didn't even mess the head up, except for one small place that I polished smooth with my dremel and a small grinding stone. Even got the bearing off the bottom of tree. If you could post a picture of the tool from Harbor, that would be great, since I have to do mine this winter. terrylee

Comment

Not a problem. Figured I was pretty late in posting.

Here's the link. Brian has taken the handle off his and the angle is just about perfect to catch the lip of the bearing trace.

Comment

Thanks much, will definately will have to make a trip to Indy. and get a set before I start on mine, as well as a "big" hammer. terrylee

Comment

While your at it, I would check the wheel bearings and swing arm bearings as well. A combination of old neglected bearings and races can add up to some lousy handling. What do the shock mount rubber bushings and mounts look like? Might check the run out on your wheels as well. Never know.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I think that is next for my GR, mrbill5491. Have a mysterious vibration in the bars above 60 or so. Wheel bearing seemed okay when I changed tires, but I did check the swing arm bearings.

Comment

Wheel bearings and swingarm bearings have been replaced. I checked out shocks, and bushings seemed good, but I plan to order new shocks soon. Got new stem bearings (put stem in freezer overnight and bearing in oven and dropped right down) on and have been trying to get them tightened, paranoid that I will get them too loose or too tight, so plan to use deep socket and make a stem nut tool in next few days so I can torque it to specs. This is the wife's bike, so want everything right. terrylee

Comment

Well, made a tool for steering head nut (used 32mm socket-plan to redo with 36mm). Torgued bearing stem to specs. in manual. Loosened and torgued several times to be sure bearings seated properly. I know we have had this discussion before but, front does not drop from side to side on it's own. It does move very smoothly and feels good. I feel that if torgued to spec. that's where it should be? Still redoing some wiring in the frt. so haven't had it out for a drive yet. terrylee

Comment

Working...
                      X