Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS 550E Fork Oil Cap

Hi.
    I'm in the process of trying to replace the seals and oil in my forks(single caliper) and I'm getting 2 different oil amounts to use.
    The service manual requires 204 ml in each fork, however my owners manual requires 165 ml in each fork I don't know if this will help but each fork has two springs, one long main one and a shorter(5" guess) on top.
    Also,when removing the bottom hex nut, the shop manual requires the use of a fork assembly tool, what is the purpose of this tool?..Do I need it or can I improvise with something else.
    Thanks Much!!
    Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2012, 12:10 PM.

You should measure the fork oil height, not the volume.

Comment

The service manual just gives capacity. If measuring height do you know what the distance is from the top? I would think the measurement is taken with all the springs in place..is this correct.?
      Thanks

Comment

What service manual are you using? My Suzuki Factory shop manual listed both.
        Since you are getting conflicting information, volume is clearly not good.
        You make or buy a little suction pump with a tube. Mark off the measurements on the tube for the various heights, stick the tube down in the fork that distance, and suck it up.
        And you do it with no springs, forks fully extended.

Comment

Hi Koolaid
          I'm using the Suzuki shop manual and owners manual.. Seems the measuring the height is the way to go,however the manual is not giving me height measurements for the 550E.
          Also, do you know what the fork assy tool is used for?
          Thanks

Comment

Hi All
            I managed to disassemble the forks and remove the seal, surprisingly the job was not difficult. A little heat goes a long way.
            Now If could only figure out how much oil goes into the forks...or the oil level.
            Thanks

Comment

Hi All
              I have found 2 "proper" oil amounts for the forks 165 ml and 190 ml.(the 190ml amount gives height level 165 doesn't) and have a couple of concerns.
              If I use 190ml and the forks needed 165ml(and vice versa) how or what will it do to the handling of the bike.
              Will I have foaming problems if the proper amount is not used?
              How does air volume affect the forks?
              Trying to get ready for a long weekend ride and this is holding me back.
              Thanks for any help.

Comment

Wow..I didn't think the collective GS brain trust could be stumped.

Comment

Working...
                X