Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original tires on my 80 GS1000 need replacing, suggestions? Size equivelents? Tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original tires on my 80 GS1000 need replacing, suggestions? Size equivelents? Tubes?

Picked up a new (only 4K original miles) GS1000G and of course after all these years the tires will certainlu need replacing. I see that the back is a 130/90/17 and the front says 3.5x19. Is that the equivelent to 100/90/19? I am curious because I have read that this is an old style of tire sizing and is largely being phased out (which is obvious by the lack of ability to find a selection with this size). Just curious anout some of the good combos that dedicated GSers like to use. Also I see that these are "tubeless", but I also see that is says to fit a tube as well. Not sure why it says both on the tire, but I thought with mags you do not need as tube.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Have a new set of Avon Roadriders on my '80 1000. Nice and sticky, and ride well. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...4-0-0-24-1-1-1
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

You have the sizes right.

I'll second the Avons too, though some people are staying away due to a premature cracking issue that cropped up a year or two back.

Spitfire S11 is another popular tire that's a little cheaper IIRC, but still delivers decent performance.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

If you use the Search function you will find that all your questions have been addressed multiple times ad infinitum
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Glad someone picked up that bike, it seemed like a real deal.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I have Avon Roadriders for both my bikes, the same sizes for both my '79 GS1000E and '82 GS1100E.
            The old sizes were based on inches and the new sizes are metric.
            I used 100/90-19 for the front, and 120/90-17 for the rear. I could've went the 130 width size for the rear, but I'm happy with the 120.
            Even though these tires are "tubeless" the parts fiche for these bike shows tubes so I do use tubes, problem is even though I have stock wheels, I don't have "tubeless" rims.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Those tires are not original. 130-90 is larger than original, but it is often used.

The original Mag Mopus tires that they came with were terrible. Replacing them with Metzlers, back in the day, was a monster upgrade.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The tube vs. tubless thing depends on the wheel. Suzuki seemed to have mixed stock of both, or they made a running change at some point. Look for lettering cast into the wheel stating "tubeless tires applicable" or something to this effect. If you get lucky and have one or both wheels with this lettering, I'd run it tubeless. You may have to purchase a tubeless wheel valve stem. If no lettering, I'd run tubes although some people convert to tubeless anyway.

As mentioned above, this topic is one of the more common so the archives has LOTS of different threads on both tires and Tubeless conversion details.

Good luck
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I do believe the original tires my '79 GS1000E came with were "Bridgestones" and were 3.50V19-4PR for the front and 4.50V17-4PR for the rear.
                  I see that the '80 GS1000G used the same size, page 45.

All the tires sizes I see now are metric and you have to convert the inch based sized to metric.

My search at Avon motorcycle tires returned these results when I looked up your bike. These are Avon Roadriders.
                  100/90-19 57V for the front and
                  130/90-17 68V for the rear.

and http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/roadrider

Now all you need is a source. (Free Shipping here)
                  These are what I got on my bikes, even though it says it's for the rear, it's universal and will fit front and back, you just pick the size.

There are others out there, and maybe someone else will chime in and offer some of their favorite tires and vendors. But at least this will get you started and perhaps save you a little time in research.
                  Also, don't forget to get some compatable tubes that at least meet the capabilities of the bike and tires!
                  Last edited by sedelen; 09-25-2012, 11:55 AM. Reason: Omission
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Those are actually Metzler ME-33s, a.k.a. Lasers, or knockoffs of that series tire. Have you checked the date codes yet?

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                      I do believe the original tires my '79 GS1000E came with were "Bridgestones" and were 3.50V19-4PR for the front and 4.50V17-4PR for the rear.
                      My '79 GS1000E is the same. Pretty sure my aluminum wheels are marked Tube Type. I really like the Bridgestone Battleax's on mine from MC Superstore. Put in new Fly Racing tubes also. Tire choices are limited by the 17" rear wheel.
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-25-2012, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I won't mention my tire choices but do run tubeless on the tube-type rims. Tubes are a pita.
                        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
                        X