• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS650 Tires

My 1981 GS650G came with the following tires:

Dunlop D404 130/90 - 17MC 68H
    Dunlop D404F 100/90 - 19MC 57H

They are pretty worn and seem like they've been on the bike for years (I just recently got this bike), so I have no opinion on whether or not I like them or should get them again. Since I am new to the GS line, I wondered if anyone had any advice on tires. With this bike, I expect to do mainly around-town type of riding, and I live in Florida.

Any suggestions?

I went with IRC Durotour RS-310 when I rebuilt my 82 650 last winter. So far so good.

Comment

Welcome; you'll get plenty of tire opinions. whatever you do, probably best to pull tires yourself and take them someplace - the rear drive spline will need a lube and I would not count on anyone doing it except you! Anyways, any pics? mileage? You can introduce yourself in the new members forum
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Do you want traction, long life or cheap price?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You can tell about how long they have been on the bike by looking at the date code. It will be the last three or four digits at the end of the DOT number.

The sizes are fine, although the rear should probably be a 120.

One popular choice for cheap (but still good) tires is the Shinko Tour Master 230 from Motorcycle Superstore.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the input! I just posted to the owners forum. I'll try to get some pictures up shortly.

I should correct my original statement below. I guess I shouldn't have used the term "worn", as there is still plenty of tread. Rather I should've said something more like "they've been sitting flat for so long that they no longer hold air pressure". The front is a much slower leak, but seeing as it's a project bike for me, I'm fine replacing both.

As far as priorities, I don't see myself riding it that much (think Sunday afternoons). So I'd have to prioritize the tradeoffs this in the following order, 1) traction, 2) mileage, 3) price. I'm fine paying a little more for something with good traction that will last awhile.

Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Go with Avon RoadRiders AM26, fair price, fair life, EXCELLENT traction and handling, wet or dry.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X