Rear Shocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Shocks?

I have been looking around and trying to budget out my build. For my bike (1982 Gs650G) I believe that 325mm eye to eye is the stock length, and feel free to correct me as I have not actually gone out to measure yet. This build is probably going to end up going the way of cafe seing as how I don't have too many of the original fairings and parts, so any options are welcome.

Questions
    • Is it better to use the stock length of shocks?
    • What would be the advantages of going either lower/higher?
    • adjustable, or conventional? (Mostly depends on price and use for me)
    • Any suggestions on, lets say, price conscious sets?
    • Is there anything I am missing?

Some of the sets I have been looking at:
    RFY 340mm Shocks [Might be leaning towards these]
    The Emgo shocks (titled Heavy Duty Shocks Honda 325mm 12.75 inch Eye to Eye applications) Though, heard bad reviews.
    These Hagon shocks (Bit pricey, but I am made to love things from the UK )
    Progressive shocks which seem to be the go to?
    I am throwing around the idea of asking Works for a deal since I know a few guys who work there... I've lived 5 minutes away my whole life

rear shocks

Hi, i wold stick to as near stock length as possible, as your bike is a shaft drive it may effect your drive couplings. Hagon will custom make you shocks your weight etc.
    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

You will like those Hagons and honestly, their pricing is better than most.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        You will like those Hagons and honestly, their pricing is better than most.
        So you have Hagon shocks on your 550T? Where did you get them and what was the cost?
        Perhaps I should find both of your annual rebuild threads to see them on your bike and where you acquired them from.
        Or have you have ridden a couple of bikes with them so as to be able to validate an opinion on them?
        Last edited by Guest; 11-18-2012, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I have them on my 650G, they are good shocks but the springs they sold me are too stiff.
          They would probably be nice on an 850.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hagon's pricing is quite good right now, they are a bit cheaper than comparable Progressives. I really like mine so far, I paid I think about $180 for them. They do make spendy fully adjustable ones too. There's another thread with info if you do a search.
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Allie which springs did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                I have them on my 650G, they are good shocks but the springs they sold me are too stiff.
                They would probably be nice on an 850.
                They will do a free spring exchange if you're not happy with the rate.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Allie which springs did you get?
                  Ummm, pretty heavy ones, due to the growth rate of my co-pilot.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I wonder if they still will.
                    I've had them two years.

Comment

Can't hurt to ask. I looked it up, my springs are 26kg/146lb.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

spring

i have fox shocks 13.25 " eye to clevis and 2"1/8 wide spring shocks are good want to know if hangens spring will work

Comment

Originally posted by GSScoobie View Post
                          So you have Hagon shocks on your 550T? Where did you get them and what was the cost?
                          Perhaps I should find both of your annual rebuild threads to see them on your bike and where you acquired them from.
                          Or have you have ridden a couple of bikes with them so as to be able to validate an opinion on them?
                          Yes I put them on my 550 and I rode Tkent's 650 with them on beforehand.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have progressive 412s on my 650G and I like them. A little firm but the handling is great. No more wallowing in turns.
                            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                            X