1980 gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs850

is there any where i can get new front master cyl with lever and new lines ? and other brake parts i want to re do all and add front brakes

Any bike dealer with a parts unlimited Catalog can get you a universal master cyl and stainless steel lines, and with all that power I would get in touch with Salty Monk here on the site and buy a brake upgrade setup that he does with the Honda rotors and Kawasaki twin pot calipers.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

i just replaced my front Master Cyl. with an identical piece from another bike. Picked it up for cheap from Baltimore Cycle Salvage. the guys there have an unbelievable selection, and pulled my part off of a working bike with working brakes. took it home, rebuilt it, and installed it no problem. total investment was 40 bucks i think? not sure what shipping would look like to SD, and if you want NEW you'll probably spend the same amount, but I wanted to keep things as original as possible.

Comment

Hi,

You might want to shop eBay for a used front wheel and rotors. The 850G, 1000G, and 1100G all used the same basic front wheel assembly. Note that the wheel spoke style changed in '82. You have the later style on your bike. I don't know if that matters to you.

You can make your own braided stainless steel brake lines (I would suggest you do) using Goodridge parts from Z1Enterprises.com or order kits from an aftermarket manufacturer (there's a list in your "mega-welcome"). You can also crimp your own brake lines using Earl's parts from ANPlumbing.com (information on my website). See the *Brakes Odds and Ends* page.

If you can't find a used master cylinder (rebuild it before you use it!), an aftermarket part will work just as well but be more expensive. For the calipers you pretty much have to buy used (don't forget to rebuild them!) unless you want to install a twin-pot upgrade (requires fabrication/modification skills) using Mr. salty_monk's procedure. See: Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi,

Also have a look at this document for reference, written by one of our members, Mr. Matchless.

Dual Disk Conversion

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X