Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1000 front end conversion/upgrade options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
    I take that as a compliment

Yes, this is excellent but...we have no idea of the lengths of the fork tubes that are available
    My research so far has given:

Model/Tube diameter/Length/RSU/Wheel diameter

GS 1000/37mm/775mm/RSU/19"
    GSX 1100 Kat/37mm/800/RSU/19"
    GSXR 86to88/41mm/767mm/RSU/18"
    GSXR 89/43mm/745mm/RSU/17"
    Bandit 96to02/43mm/775mm/RSU/17"

Only the two latter ones are equipped with a cartridge.
    FYI, I've tested all the configurations above and the cartridge type fork really makes a difference
    That's where RaceTech intervened to improve the non-cartridge type forks for sure?
    I'm currently investigating another alternative that would be long enough, with a cartridge and...adjustable
    Top secret for the moment!
    I posted in the other thread about the spreadsheet I put together. There are other important factors other than fork length.

For a RSU fork you probably have about the best combination (43mm stantions, 20mm axles and cartridges) sticking with all Suzuki.
    I chose the 88 GSXR 1100 forks wheels (41mm stantions, 17mm axle with a racetech emulator) as it is all period GSXR for my GS1100ED and it is hard to make up for the difference in ground clearance between the 18" and the 17" wheels.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

P.S. there is another option that is similar to the 43mm mix of triple/stantion is the 37mm mix of the GS1100EZ/ED and GS1150 triple that allows you to also run 17" wheels but with the stock ED fender. This does require making brake mounts. Admittedly the 43mm combination does look quite attractive. A stricter budget would be the only reason for staying with the 37mm combination.
    Last edited by posplayr; 12-29-2012, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      I posted in the other thread about the spreadsheet I put together. There are other important factors other than fork length.

For a RSU fork you probably have about the best combination (43mm stantions, 20mm axles and cartridges) sticking with all Suzuki.
      I chose the 88 GSXR 1100 forks wheels (41mm stantions, 17mm axle with a racetech emulator) as it is all period GSXR for my GS1100ED and it is hard to make up for the difference in ground clearance between the 18" and the 17" wheels.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

P.S. there is another option that is similar to the 43mm mix of triple/stantion is the 37mm mix of the GS1100EZ/ED and GS1150 triple that allows you to also run 17" wheels but with the stock ED fender. This does require making brake mounts. Admittedly the 43mm combination does look quite attractive. A stricter budget would be the only reason for staying with the 37mm combination.
      Here's a picture of my own GSXR 87/88 combo with 18" wheels.
      No ground clearance issue here!
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Here's a picture of my own GSXR 87/88 combo with 18" wheels.
        No ground clearance issue here!
        How much do you figure you changed the ride height with the mono-shock? How does it ride compared to twin shocks? What shock are you running?

Is that a 160/60-18 on the rear?

Comment

Good input
          It must be way cheaper than buying a 13 mm offset sprocket
          It was when I had a 96 Bandit 600 for a parts bike laying around. And I had a wrecked GS 500 also . So it was just a matter of mix and match to see what would fit and what wouldn't. I like putting together stuff like this I call them "Mutts"
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            How much do you figure you changed the ride height with the mono-shock? How does it ride compared to twin shocks? What shock are you running?

Is that a 160/60-18 on the rear?
            By design, I set the swingarm in the same position as stock with no load.
            I have the possibility of raising the rear by simply adding some spacers but I haven't tried so far.
            My rear shock is an Ohlins rated slightly lower than for the GSXR 1100 K.
            The rear tire is a Michelin Pilot 3 160/60-18 but I believe it's a little too large for a 4" wheel.
            I'm not totally satisfied with this setup because the fork is too soft compared to the rear.
            I raised the oil to 15W in the fork but now it's too harsh...
            I believe the recipe is to go with tougher springs ( .95kg/mm) and RaceTech emulators...More dollars to go!

I know what you are going to say about the next picture....
            sigpicJohn Kat
            My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
              It was when I had a 96 Bandit 600 for a parts bike laying around. And I had a wrecked GS 500 also . So it was just a matter of mix and match to see what would fit and what wouldn't. I like putting together stuff like this I call them "Mutts"
              Great
              Let's say it's "mutts for nuts"
              sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

The only thing I would say is that angle for the mono shock requires a gusset for strengthing, oh, and maybe a few holes to give it that Swiss cheese lightening effect.

How thick is that angle, 1/4 inch?

Looks really good, is that swing arm the same 1988 GSXR as the front forks?

Lots of GREAT info in this thread, it should become a sticky.

Daryl

I have the possibility of raising the rear by simply adding some spacers but I haven't tried so far.
                The rear tire is a Michelin Pilot 3 160/60-18 but I believe it's a little too large for a 4" wheel.
                I'm not totally satisfied with this setup because the fork is too soft compared to the rear.
                I believe the recipe is to go with tougher springs ( .95kg/mm) and RaceTech emulators...More dollars to go!

1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                  The only thing I would say is that angle for the mono shock requires a gusset for strengthing, oh, and maybe a few holes to give it that Swiss cheese lightening effect.

How thick is that angle, 1/4 inch?

Looks really good, is that swing arm the same 1988 GSXR as the front forks?

Lots of GREAT info in this thread, it should become a sticky.

Daryl
                  I would have guessed this answer
                  When you realize the force needed to fold this sheet of 6 mm metal, it kind of reassures you
                  No, the swingarm is from a GSXR 1100 K ( 1989).
                  It's not an easy adaptation as it is too wide to fit right into a GS 1000 frame
                  sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

When you realize the force needed to fold this sheet of 6 mm metal, it kind of reassures you
                    John,

Your bike looks well proportioned and maintains the GS integrity nicely, Nice work. Wondering if you can you shoot a pic of your rearsets and give me the run down?

Comment

Yes, quite a bit off force to bend that for sure! I have bent quite a bit of metal, aluminum though as I am an aircraft mechanic. For me I would still gusset it as I over engineer everything

Some more detailed pics of the rear sets and descriptions would be greatly appreciated.

This thread could turn into "The Ultimate GS1000 Upgrade" thread .

Cheers,
                      Daryl

1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                        Yes, quite a bit off force to bend that for sure! I have bent quite a bit of metal, aluminum though as I am an aircraft mechanic. For me I would still gusset it as I over engineer everything

Some more detailed pics of the rear sets and descriptions would be greatly appreciated.

This thread could turn into "The Ultimate GS1000 Upgrade" thread .

Cheers,
                        Daryl
                        While the design is relying heavily on the strength of the 90 degree, it is a rather clean and simple design in terms of providing both a monoshock upper support and swingarm pivot frame brace with very simple construction.

I drew in a flat partial gusset that maintains the openness of the shock mount but does relieve quite a bit of the stress on the 90 degree angle.

I drew in a small upper gusset that probably doesn't add much.

Comment

Nice you allowed for some adjustment in ride height. The Ohlins is a nice shock; is it also 89 GSXR 1100?

I'm running a 170/60-18 Dunlop Road smart and it is wearing nicely on my 4.5x18" 3 spoke. I bought a conversion once which had a 160/60-18 road pilot on a 4x18" wheel and I did not like the way to wore. The Dunlop seems to maintain a much better profile.

I also have the 88 GSXR 1100 forks, with what I believe are progressive springs and the race tech emulators and 15W oil. Once they are setup , I have no complaints. I also have a stiff 1/2" or so aftermarket fork brace.

Make sure you drill the holes in the proper spots on the damper rods. The PO that I got my forks from had not done so correctly and so I had to re disassemble and redrill after a bit of hard ridding.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                            John,

Your bike looks well proportioned and maintains the GS integrity nicely, Nice work. Wondering if you can you shoot a pic of your rearsets and give me the run down?
                            Jwhelan, I'm using GSXR 1100 K rearsets.
                            Here are a few pictures but as my bike is not here for the moment, I can't do better.
                            I would say that the position is very good if you run with clip-ons.
                            For normal type bars they could be moved forward a little?

I'll send other pictures from a racing Kat using the same HW
                            sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Quick

Just a quick note. The front end on the first picci is from a Honda. CBR900? Or a 600. Alot more trouble to put on a GS than the GSXR fronts.
                              G
                              sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                              2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                              Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                              '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Here's another example of rearsets on a racing Kat ( not mine)

And here's how you get more clearance even with 18" wheels!
                                sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X