front brake problems... help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front brake problems... help?

I've rebuild my front brakes with rebuild mc, rebuild calipers and new steel braided brakelines with new banjo bolds and crush rings. I can't build up any pressure on the brakes

I bench-bleeded the mc, i filled the calipers and checked everything for leaks but everything is dry. I've tried to read every topic that i found here on GSR about bleeding problems but couldn't find a similar problem. The handle moves all the way to the bar with no pressure at all...

I rebuild the mc and calipers myself, i even cleaned them with an ultrasonic cleaner. The mc got a new piston (original suzuki) with spring and rubbers, the circlips is in the right groove and she gives pressure like it should. the calipers were in a bad shape but i cleaned them and took out all of the corrosion inside with my dremel (with small wire brush to get into the grooves) and put in new pistons, o-rings and booths, all original suzuki. They went in fine and i even tried to pump them back out with compressed air to see if they moved as they should, hurting my thumb in the process (my mistake, put my thumb in the wrong place ... ) when one of the pistons came shooting out directly.

I put some teflon tape on the threads of the bleeding screws just to be sure, and brake fluid comes out as it should when opened. I took off a caliper to see if there's movement when i squeeze the handle and there is, but very little and the piston goes back in the caliper without me loosening grip on the handle....

It's been 2 days now that i try to get any pressure on the brakes but nothing comes, i even tried the "tie back the handle" technique for a few nights but no succes...

Anyone got any sugestions?

oh yeah, i bled the brakes like it said on the basscliff website, pumping, holding, loosen the bleederscrew, tighten back the crew and pumping again.... that for 2 days now without succes. I know that it takes a while to get some pressure with new brakelines but this is getting rediculus....

Comment

Get a mighty-vac? Sometimes you just get stubborn air pockets.

Comment

yeah, i've ordered one but have to wait untill next week to get it... it wasn't to expensive so i ordered it anyway.

Comment

Had a similar issue all summer. Bwringer solved it on mine when he discovered the piston seal was gripping the piston too tightly. It required almost all the lever travel to get the pad to contact the disc and then the piston moved too far back into the caliper.

He pulled the piston and, in his word, "polished" the inside of the rubber seal with Scotch Brite pad soaked in brake fluid until the piston was able to slide correctly. Solved my brake issue within an hour--I'd spent 7 months trying to bleed/rebuild/troubleshoot.

Here's a link to my thread. Post # 62 is where Bwringer explains what he did to solve the issue. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...drookie&page=2

Comment

well, i've read your story indeed and it looks similar, but i don't have any pressure at all and my piston moves about 1mm if i compress the handle full. I also had no problem getting the piston in the caliper as you did and it sure wasn't difficult to get it out with some compressed air (i have a big cut in my thumb to prove it ).
            When i first rebuild the calipers i had to keep comressed air on the caliper for about 5 minutes before the piston "popped" (and this is a major understatement) and it stopped a few times before comming out of the bore. Now i just have to give it one small pump with my airgun and the piston comes flying out so i'm very sure that there are no restrictions in the caliper.
            I guess i'll have to wait for the mighty-vac to arrive next week....

Comment

allright, after backing up and check what could be wrong, i took the mc off the bike and checked it again, seems that i did a dumb mistake on the rebuild....

I put in the spring with the first rubber washer in backwards... so there was almost no pressure buildup and the remaining pressure was going back to the fluidcontainer.... took everything out and put everything back together the right way.

My brakes are pulling strong now, almost imediatly had pressure!

I still am going to tie the handle back for the night to get the last bubbles out and it should be good by tomorow!

Thank you guys for the input, i appreciate it very much! And by the way, happy newyear!!

Comment

Ahhh, I see. Glad you got it figured out!

Comment

It's amazing how telling the world about your own problems, can be a sure indicator that you screwed up something yourself.

No matter. You found the problem and fixed it. Happy riding!
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

And telling the world your problem can help others solve theirs

Comment

i know i screwed up something, but i used this thread to take a step back and think how i did screw it up and look... it works!!

Comment

Working...
                      X