83' 750ES Suspension advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83' 750ES Suspension advice

So I have finally just about completed my GT550 engine into the GS chassis swap and am now in tear down for paint mode. I am looking for advise on updating the suspension when I go and reassemble the bike after rebuilding. For the front, I am looking at 2 options,

1- Just replacing the fork springs and fresh oil along with deleting the anti-dive with channeled block off plates.

2- Replacing the fork springs and installing emulators, still deleting the anti-dive with non channeled block off plates.

I am not sure of the value of the emulators for a bike that will mostly be ridden around town and maybe get 1k miles a year if I'm lucky. For the fork springs, I am aware of the Progressives, but I think a straight rate may be better? I am not looking to do a fork swap. What are the recommendations on good fork springs and oil weight/level settings? I am about 190 lbs and always solo riding.

For the rear, I am looking to replace the shock. Right now, it looks like it is between the Hagon, Wilbers, or Penske. All are single adjustable, with the Hagon being the cheapest and the Penske and Wilbers about the same price. The Penske and Wilbers seem to have a good rep, but the Hagon seems to be hit or miss. I don't mind spending a little more to get a superior product, short of a full on "race" shock. I would appreciate any real would experience that is out there. By the way, I had started a thread about a year ago, but it seems gone, so here is a pic of the bike before tear down. Nothing like the sound of a stroker with chambers to go with the sweet GS body lines!

Mark

Go here http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/...9dd94203be90f6 and fill in the place to see what they recommend.Rich is a member here to.Had a set of Sonics in my 06 SV650,huge improvement on that bike

Comment

That's an interesting machine you have there.

FWIW - I put an 1150 front end on my 750 ES some time back. Straight swap.....I mean STRAIGHT swap. Bolted straight on - steering stops matched up and everything.

What's the benefit? The 1150 forks are a bit wider set and the fork brace is better. Plus the twin piston calipers on the 1150 are better than the single pistons on the 750. Made a big (better) difference on my 750.

If you opt for just a re-build of what you already have, replace the fork slider bushings while you have them apart.

I can't help you with the rear end though.

Good luck with it.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Another option is just finding an 1150 triple tree. Your 750 forks will slide right in and allow the wider 1150 front wheel. You will need to swap the 1150 spacers and axle also.

Comment

Ducati M900 shock fits but you have to change the spring (can use the standard one with added preload that the Ducati shock allows).

I would add emulators & a twinpot brake kit or go for the 1150 front end (you'll still want to add emulators to that too probably).
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. As I said above, I am not looking to swap forks. While I did add a 1100 rear wheel, I am OK with the 750 front wheel width and may consider a brake upgrade at a later date. While I know the suspension/brakes are outdated compared to more current bikes, it's worlds better than what was on the original GT chassis! Now, I am as frugal as the next guy, I would really rather bite the bullet now and just get a new shock vs putting a used (even though I'm sure it's better than what I have) one on there. As it stands right now, the Hagon is $400 and the Wilbers is $570. Still waiting to hear on the Penske. I am going to check out the Sonic springs now.

Mark

Comment

I mentioned the Ducati shock as it works well & can be had for about $50 on Ebay.

I think you'd get a better handling bike by using that shock & spending your money on the emulators & fork springs rather than on the aftermarket shock with only sonic springs....

1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

i dont understand whats wrong with the 750 forks as they are, the anti dive work fine if they are bled right, and add some air to them and watch them jump up!,they are suppose to have so much air to keep the front end up, and if your bike is lighter it shouldnt be a big deal

Comment

Originally posted by gstwostroke View Post
                  So I have finally just about completed my GT550 engine into the GS chassis swap and am now in tear down for paint mode. I am looking for advise on updating the suspension when I go and reassemble the bike after rebuilding. For the front, I am looking at 2 options,

1- Just replacing the fork springs and fresh oil along with deleting the anti-dive with channeled block off plates.

2- Replacing the fork springs and installing emulators, still deleting the anti-dive with non channeled block off plates.

I am not sure of the value of the emulators for a bike that will mostly be ridden around town and maybe get 1k miles a year if I'm lucky. For the fork springs, I am aware of the Progressives, but I think a straight rate may be better? I am not looking to do a fork swap. What are the recommendations on good fork springs and oil weight/level settings? I am about 190 lbs and always solo riding.

For the rear, I am looking to replace the shock. Right now, it looks like it is between the Hagon, Wilbers, or Penske. All are single adjustable, with the Hagon being the cheapest and the Penske and Wilbers about the same price. The Penske and Wilbers seem to have a good rep, but the Hagon seems to be hit or miss. I don't mind spending a little more to get a superior product, short of a full on "race" shock. I would appreciate any real would experience that is out there. By the way, I had started a thread about a year ago, but it seems gone, so here is a pic of the bike before tear down. Nothing like the sound of a stroker with chambers to go with the sweet GS body lines!

Mark
                  wow nice! i love the tripples, bore it out and port it put some flat slide carb and it will be a real screamer! really nice job on it, i had one as a kid and it was a heavy bike i bet that one is lighter than a stock one and handles like a dream

Comment

So I went with a Hagon shock and Sonic springs in the front. Don't have it all put back together yet but when I do, I will update again.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by gstwostroke View Post
                      So I went with a Hagon shock and Sonic springs in the front. Don't have it all put back together yet but when I do, I will update again.

Mark
                      Great choice, I run the same set up

Comment

Or, You could be insane and do this.... And it's sitting with no engine in it right now awaiting its' '89 gsxr 750 engine swap.
                        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                          Or, You could be insane and do this.... And it's sitting with no engine in it right now awaiting its' '89 gsxr 750 engine swap.
                          Dee

That bike looks different every time I see it.. Looks good

Comment

I love the look of the GSXR wheels on there. Is there a write up on the swap?
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2013, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Man oh Man, I get a woody almost everytime I see this bike......

You make it so hard for me to keep mine stock.....

When you get tired of all the parts on your bike, send to me, so I can throw them onto mine......LOL

Sorry OP, I have nothing to add to your original question, wish I did....

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X