Please help to identify forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help to identify forks

As my sig indicates, I have a 1981 GS850G. I am trying to rebuild the front forks, only to find out I don't have 1981 GS850G forks. Can someone help me figure out what kind of forks these are? I need a retainer clip at a minimum, and would like to replace the o-rings as well. The tubes measure 37mm OD of the upper tube, and 49mm ID of the lower. The retainer clip is also pictured. They look an awful lot like "L" forks, but the clip in the parts fiche doesn't match.

Any reason to "fear" the L-style forks (if that's what they are)?

Thanks to all,

Mark

Looks like L forks that I have, is that the clip that holds the fork seal from popping up?, don't think it matters what kind of clip is used, a PO may have replaced the seals at one time, and lost/broke the oem and replaced with whatever worked.

Comment

The only reason to "fear" L-style forks is if they have been installed on a bike with "standard" triples.

On the L bikes (and the '80-'81 750E and 1100E), the triples are pulled back a bit so the fork tubes and the steering stem are in a straighter line. Essentially, this leaves the axle in the same place and only moves the fork tubes. If you use L forks in standard triples, the axle is what gets moved, and it will upset your steering geometry, making for a tricky-handling bike.

Take a look at THIS THREAD, especially post #17, where I am explaining this to someone else, but there are pictures so you can see what I am talking about. In post #21 is another good picture that shows the difference.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Don't forget to inspect and (replace if needed) the fork bushings inside.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I've seen that clip holding in several oil seals on several different GS's. I suspect it's stock.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X