Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lacing spoked wheels - who's done it, H-D spoke gauges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lacing spoked wheels - who's done it, H-D spoke gauges?

How many of you have laced your own wheels before, and if a non-stock configuration, what source did you use for your spokes? I luckily found a GS1000/1100/1150 mystery wheel off of a parted out drag bike already with the rim I wanted, a DID WM6 3.50x18. The front wheel I wanted was going to be impossible to find complete, as I was looking for a 2.50x18 (DID/Excel/Moose) or maybe 2.75x18 (Sun). I got a deal on a used 2.50x18 DID after emailing many eBay sellers of 2.15x18 DID inquiring about additional rims. Acquiring a used hub soon hopefully.

I have built dozens and dozens of bicycle wheels in the past 20 years (worked as a service manager in a bicycle shop for ~8 years). I always used a product called WheelSmith Spoke Prep on the threads the day before building the wheels. It was like a soft-setting loctite coating similar to what you may see painted onto some fasteners. I ALWAYS swore by this stuff, as it helped coat the spokes to prevent corrosion, and helped prevent the nipples from backing out. All that I read about building motorcycle wheels says to oil the threads. Could a spoke prep type compound be used on a motorcycle wheel also? Or is there a lot more tension, requiring the lube to prevent galling of the threads?

I will probably email Woody's or Buchanan's tomorrow, but I have found some 6-3/4" and 6-7/8" Hardley Davidson spokes are right around the length I need. I am debating stainless ($120) vs chrome plated steel ($54). The price difference is a lot, but I know the stainless will last forever. The bigger thing is this - the stock GS spokes are 8gauge/10gauge double butted. Buchannan's specifies that they only custom make GS spokes in straight 8 gauge. The Harley spokes are double butted 6gauge/8 gauge. The GS spoke holes in the hubs are 5mm, much larger than the GS's thicker 8g spoke ends. I wonder if I could get these Harley spokes and fit them with no problems? I remember reading someone somewhere finding the same thing, that some Harley spokes were the exact length they needed for their GS or whatever UJM they were custom building a wheel for.

Woody's quoted me $115 for a set of spokes. I may check back with them tomorrow.

Anyone want to take this opportunity to talk me out of any chance I may go the cheap route and get the chromed spokes for much less? The s.s. may be easier to sell in the event that the larger gauge does not fit the seemingly huge GS hub spoke holes.
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100
Working...
X