gs1000g front brake is locked???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000g front brake is locked???

I am hoping to have this bike ready for spring, and one of the things on the list is getting the front tire to turn (and not stop turning while going 75MPH !!). I have opened up the line and this didn't help, but the fluid is flowing. Haven't done this repair on a bike yet, and am grateful for any help. do I need a full rebuild in order to be safe?

1980 GS1000G Dual discs on the front

Thanks,
    Matt W.

it sounds like your calipers need a full strip,clean and rebuild. while you are there you should do the master cylinder as well and fit some stainless brake hoses.
    then you will have perfectly good reliable stopping power
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Also, if the front is in that poor of condition, there's a good chance the rear is on the verge of failing.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I am going through the brakes right now. Mine sat since 2009. The pistons look good, as do the dust boots. So,I'm putting new seals in after cleaning everything inside and out. I rebuilt my master cylinders too. It's not that bad a job to tackle.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I was leaning in that direction.
          Matt W.

Comment

How long is "not to long"? and did you need any special tools?
            thanks,
            Matt W.

Comment

Not really any "special" tools required, except for an angled fine-point pliers for removing the front master cylinder circlip. If the pistons in the calipers are stuck, using an air compressor will make removal a lot easier (search for other posts on this). Absolute cleanliness is a must, and do not rush the job. Refer to a repair manual (you do have one, right? - if not, visit Mr BassCliff's little site for manuals and tutorials). There are also plenty of posts here on procedures for bleeding the system afterwards, as well as solutions to correct "spongy" feel problems.

Remember, brakes are safety-critical systems, and your life depends on them working properly!

It is highly recommended to use only genuine OEM Suzuki seals etc. on calipers and master cylinders.
              Last edited by 2BRacing; 01-24-2013, 04:32 PM. Reason: add info
              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Working...
              X