1100E seal removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100E seal removal?

whats the best way to remove the fork seals on my 1100?

i was thinking fill them up with air and blow them out, but i dont know if that would hurt the anti-dive or not?

or fill them with oil and compress them till they blow out. again not sure about the anti-dive.

and i read that people yank the tube and slider to force them out?

just ideas if its to hard to take them out how your supposed to. and also do i have to separate the slider from the tube to get these out? i read that but they werent 1100e forks. couldnt find anything searching 1100e fork seal removal.

thanks.

you can use the slider method but thats for complete disassembly which should probably be done. i used compress air on my klr, pumped the sucker to 100psi and it blew off. remember to empty the oil first and hold a towel over the seal unless you trying to oil your ceiling. you have to remove the dust seal and the clip to do the blow method.

Comment

Changed the fork seals on my 850 L model recently. I tried the air method. It worked great for the fork that had a squishy rubber aftermarket seal, but did not budge the OEM seal which is made of some combination of rubber, plastic, and metal. In fact, I had a hard time getting that one out even with a big old screwdriver and lots of leverage.

So I guess I would say try the air method first since it's relatively easy (drain the oil first like tc says) and then disassemble the fork if that doesn't work.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
        Changed the fork seals on my 850 L model recently. I tried the air method. It worked great for the fork that had a squishy rubber aftermarket seal, but did not budge the OEM seal which is made of some combination of rubber, plastic, and metal. In fact, I had a hard time getting that one out even with a big old screwdriver and lots of leverage.

So I guess I would say try the air method first since it's relatively easy (drain the oil first like tc says) and then disassemble the fork if that doesn't work.
        When I get a seal like that, I use a sharp chisel and cut one side of the seal in half. It then pops right out when the tension is released.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
        X