No announcement yet.

A modern fork upgrade for 17,18 and 19" wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like a wasted opportunity to use stock brakes there John... I guess if yours were in good shape & the machining is not expensive then why not.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hi Salty, the OEM brakes are obviously not in the same class as what can found on modern bikes today.
      On the other hand the calipers that go with the slotted disks that appeared on the 1980 models are a big improvement over the previous generation.
      That combined with modern pads that are properly bed-in give you appreciable stopping power at least in my view.
      The purpose of the exercise was not to upgrade every part of the GS 1000 but only the front fork as I'm convinced that it's the weakest link on the bike.
      Doing so, will also allow me to keep the bike relatively standard
      If the next weakest link is the braking power, I will follow your example and go for the CBR disks and Kawasaki calipers
      I'm still missing a few parts to complete the set-up but I'm eager to test it on the road, specially that with my extended GSXR fork, I will be able to try different ride heights with the corresponding changes in trail and rake
      PS: if you'd like to produce the required parts for the GSR community, I'd be glad to provide you my drawings
      Last edited by John Kat; 04-30-2013, 04:54 PM.
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Why did you extend the forks if you are going to have 3 inches sticking out of the top tree? You do know that is a hazard on a get off.

Comment

Originally posted by althomas101 View Post
          Why did you extend the forks if you are going to have 3 inches sticking out of the top tree? You do know that is a hazard on a get off.
          I extended the fork for a previous project when I was using 17" wheels on my GS 1000 XP.
          With the 19" wheels, I should be able to do without the fork extensions but I won't take them off until I do a back to back test between the two wheel sizes
          I agree that it's dangerous to have the tubes protude above the triples...but it's even more dangerous to run out off ground clearance
          Here's what the ground clearance looked like with the 17" wheels.
          sigpicJohn Kat
          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

I figured you had your reasons, I just wanted to know them. Thanks for the reply, I can see myself upgrading suspension down the road so this is of particular interest to me.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
              Hi Salty, the OEM brakes are obviously not in the same class as what can found on modern bikes today.
              On the other hand the calipers that go with the slotted disks that appeared on the 1980 models are a big improvement over the previous generation.
              That combined with modern pads that are properly bed-in give you appreciable stopping power at least in my view.
              The purpose of the exercise was not to upgrade every part of the GS 1000 but only the front fork as I'm convinced that it's the weakest link on the bike.
              Doing so, will also allow me to keep the bike relatively standard
              If the next weakest link is the braking power, I will follow your example and go for the CBR disks and Kawasaki calipers
              I'm still missing a few parts to complete the set-up but I'm eager to test it on the road, specially that with my extended GSXR fork, I will be able to try different ride heights with the corresponding changes in trail and rake
              PS: if you'd like to produce the required parts for the GSR community, I'd be glad to provide you my drawings
              John,
              Well you will have to give us all a full road test report. I first upgraded my ED as much as possible(fork brace,sintered brake pads, cartridge emulators, fork springs, Ohlins rear, sticky sport demon tires) using all stock wheel,tires,forks and brakes. And the bikes handled well but there was a definite limit and road handling feel would fall off as speeds exceeded 70-80 mph. With the latest engine upgrades of an 1166 kit it only mad it worse.

My next step was rather large as I went to GSXR 88 wheels/brakes/forks(41mm), and fit 110/80-18 and 170/60-18 tires with it.
              So it is hard to segregate the effects, but I would think that the tires and wheels have the most effect certainly as speeds rise. To a certain extent it is academic to me, but still of interest to hear your conclusions given you can compare your own bikes with radial and stock forks with this one with the B-12 forks.

Jim
              Last edited by posplayr; 05-01-2013, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                John,
                Well you will have to give us all a full road test report. I first upgraded my ED as much as possible(fork brace,sintered brake pads, cartridge emulators, fork springs, Ohlins rear, sticky sport demon tires) using all stock wheel,tires,forks and brakes. And the bikes handled well but there was a definite limit and road handling feel would fall off as speeds exceeded 70-80 mph. With the latest engine upgrades of an 1166 kit it only mad it worse.

My next step was rather large as I went to GSXR 88 wheels/brakes/forks(41mm), and fit 110/80-18 and 170/60-18 tires with it.
                So it is hard to segregate the effects, but I would think that the tires and wheels have the most effect certainly as speeds rise. To a certain extent it is academic to me, but still of interest to hear your conclusions given you can compare your own bikes with radial and stock forks with this one with the B-12 forks.

Jim
                Jim, I will definitely provide feedback following the road test
                My experience so far has been with my GS 1000 XP, a GS 1000 with GSXR 1100 K components including 43 mm RSU forks, 17" wheels, brakes and even a single shock swingarm.
                To me it was one of the best motorcycle experiences I've had in my life
                My experience correlates your findings: no vagueness in the steering at speeds above 70 to 80 mph!
                Later on to lighten the bike, I modified my GS 1000 XP with GSXR 1100 G/H components like you did with 18" wheels, brakes and front fork.
                After lots of adjustments on the front fork with oil viscosity, spring rates and RaceTech cartridges the bike runs fine but...not quite as good as what I remember it was with the GSXR K components???
                It's great fun for sure but I'm not sure the magic is still there allthough the bike is definitely lighter than before.
                Does the magic come from the 17" wheels ( and tires), the cartridge type fork or a subtle change in geometry or in riding position, I don't know yet but this new experiment should help clarify the situation.
                Wait and see
                sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

I secured the front mudguard today with 40 mm spacers
                  Going from a 17" wheel to a 19" wheel doesn't only add 1" to the radius given the aspect ratio of the 19" tires!
                  It's almost garanteed now that I will not need the extended fork.
                  It's not the final design but here's what it looks like.
                  Next the fork lock stops and I'm underway

sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Keep it up John... We are all watching you!

Comment

And the result is
                      Today I managed to pull the last parts together and went for a ride on the bike.
                      The best way to describe how it feels is "One Block"
                      Gone is the kind of twitchiness(?) as the bike went over small bumps that usually unsettled the steering.
                      Going faster you are in total control and at no time you think "that's fast enough".
                      In fact my GS 1000 ST was the bike I liked the least in my stable.
                      It was fast enough and it was fun but only up to a certain speed.
                      Beyond that you clearly felt in dangerous territory.
                      Of course, you can feel that you are running on cross ply tires but the pleasure is there.
                      I can't help comparing with my GS 1000 XP equipped with 1st gen GSXR components.
                      Again here the front fork is way superior to the previous model despite the "gold valve" and endless tuning with different oil viscosities and springs
                      It's very strange, when you pump the front suspension up and down with the cartridge type fork you get the feeling it's way too stiff compared to the 1st gen fork but when you ride the bike you feel the front wheel is under control and it's still comfortable?
                      In summary, I would say that the BEST upgrade for a GS 1000 is a cartridge type fork
                      As a side note, I will not upgrade the brakes...but I will put some better shocks at the rear
                      Here's the bike " as tested"

sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

very nice and well done. These are 43 mm cartridge forks? What year Bandit works? Can you summarize the changes required for the forks? Axles, bearings, brake adapters, handle bars?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          very nice and well done. These are 43 mm cartridge forks? What year Bandit works? Can you summarize the changes required for the forks? Axles, bearings, brake adapters, handle bars?
                          Thanks Jim
                          For this conversion you need:
                          GSXR 1100 K ( 1989) Triple trees top and bottom
                          Eitheir GSXR 1100 K RSU 43 mm fork legs if you run with a conventional handlebar.
                          In this case you will need an LSL or ABM adapter to take the handlebar.
                          Or Bandit 1200 phase 1 ( until 1999 I believe) RSU 43 mm fork legs.
                          As these legs are longer, you can use clip-ons ( ABM in my case) that go on top of the triple tree.
                          The triple tree bearings are the original ones.
                          You will have to use the knurled nut from the gs 1000 under the top triple.
                          The wheel axle is eitheir the original one or better the GSXR 1100 G/H 15 mm one that's a little longer.
                          I also used some shims to center the wheel.
                          The mudguard comes from a GSXR 1100 J ( 1988)
                          The headlight brackets came from a local "supermarket"
                          On the machining side you need the:
                          The wheel axle adapters
                          The lock stops
                          The caliper brackets
                          The stand-offs for the mudguard
                          This must of cost me 300$ but there was a lot of going back and forth.
                          If you are interested, I will PM you my drawings?
                          Last edited by John Kat; 05-04-2013, 03:52 AM.
                          sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

John,

This is great info, I think the only thing I would have done differently being that far into it is upgrade the calipers as Dan mentioned. Aside from that a fantastic job that warrants a sticky thread. Your work always draws a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                              John,

This is great info, I think the only thing I would have done differently being that far into it is upgrade the calipers as Dan mentioned. Aside from that a fantastic job that warrants a sticky thread. Your work always draws a crowd.
                              Thanks Jwhelan
                              One day maybe, I'll get to your quality level!
                              By the way, I saw Pazzo levers on your GS 1100 but what brackets do they fit on?
                              sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                                Thanks Jwhelan
                                One day maybe, I'll get to your quality level!
                                By the way, I saw Pazzo levers on your GS 1100 but what brackets do they fit on?
                                Both the clutch perch and front master cylinder came from a 2011 Yamaha FZ8. Once you have them in place you can order just about any after market lever you want. They also have normal upright mirror mounts. This allows for all the fancy modern day bling.
                                Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X