wierd rear brake problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wierd rear brake problem

So I just rebuilt my rear master cylinder, bench bled it and then bled the lines.

Here is what I don't get >>>>>>> When I apply the rear brake the calipers will not diss-engage, unless I crack open the bleeders, then they release.

It seems like it is not bleeding back. I have triple checked that the springs & plungers are installed correctly, checked the clymer manual and online diagrams.

This is for a 77 GS70 with a K&L MC Rebuild kit

Any input would be appreciated as I want to get riding and enjoy the new bike...

Thanks

Well for one, with a part like this OEM would be the way to go. Even so, you shouldn't be having this problem with an aftermarket one. I have heard of this happening when there is a tear or break inside the brake line where fluid is allowed to travel one direction, but when it goes the other way the broken flap jams itself and doesn't allowed fluid to pass. We're the calipers rebuilt too? Was this happening before? Even if the line isn't the problem it should definitely be replaced as well. That's all I can think of, someone else will probably chime in with more.

Comment

Spring goes in skinny end first. has that metal hat looking thing in the end of the spring..that goes in first.Then the rubber cup goes in with the cup facing the spring..spring end fits into the cup. Lube the bore with clean fluid before assembly.

Next the piston goes in with the metal starred end facing the flat side of the rubber cup. Then the drive rod goes in and the ball fits into the cupped end of the piston.

How hard did the pistons go back into the rear caliper halves? They should go in snuggly but not so snug that you cant push them in with your fingers.

Did you clean the grooves the seals fit into REAL good and be sure the seals dont have any scale on them as well? Or new seals as well?

Did you remove the brass nipple that resivoir hose fits to and see that the 2 holes in there are clean and open?

If its assembled right, the caliper pistons arent over binded, and there is no air in the system it all should work.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-10-2013, 12:13 AM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If that compensating port is clogged it will do the same thing. It really is tiny and easy to block with chunks of rust or whatever.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and insight.

I will be going through it again later today.

Reply to Chuck Hahn

Installed spring/cups/piston exactly as you described. The piston fit nice and snug. I did hone the cylinder and clean it very well.

Reply to Evan132

I agree oem is the way to go. Anyways I just bought this bike and it had a spongy rear brake, you actually had to pump the rear brake to get to somewhat grab.

Upon initial mc removal/inspection I noticed that the circlip had fallen out of the grove (so all the internals fell out when I removed the brake rod) and the "washer looking deal" on the brake rod was bent...?...? What could cause that??

Comment

So I got to looking at the rear MC again, tore it apart inspected it and reinstalled it and "bingo" it worked perfect, (It was installed correctly originally) tested it and all seemed fine. Went for a ride around
            the block and I was happy to have a rear brake.

As I pulled it back in the garage I heard the rear brake making noise, like it was grabbing a little, checked it, seemed fine. Later I was pressing the brake lever and looking at it and the damn thing locked up again. (Not bleeding back)

So i decided to order a new brake rod since mine was bent up for some unknown reason (after straightening it up) "washer looking deal that the circlip holds/retains" and a new stainless steel rear brake line just because I did not know how old the rear brake line was, the outside of the brake line seemed fine on inspection. Trying to narrow this down. If this does not work then all I can assume is that the piston is binding somehow in the mc.

The piston fits snug and makes vacuum/pressure and does not leak. I did not notice any wear marks inside the MC.

I hope I get this straightened out soon. grrrrrrr

Comment

What is the purpose of the outlined port in the mc (see attached image) It does not seem to go anywhere. Is it supposed too?

Well, The brakes are better, but now they drag.

I have been looking around on the forums for an answer and some people say there are 2 ports on the side of the piston cylinder, I only have one. So now I am confused.

I am starting to get frustrated, I have had the caliper and MC apart countless times

Here's what I have done.

1. Replaced the old rubber brake line with a stainless steel line
              2. Rebuilt the rear caliper with factory parts & Cleaned (tested the rear caliper pistons with compressed air, they move in/out fine)
              3. Adjusted the push-rod as per the Clymer manual.
              4. Polished the piston cylinder to make it smooth (measured inside diameter, still within service limit)

The piston cup set does not block the compensator port when the push-rod is relaxed, the port is not clogged with debris.

The only other thing I can think of is trying a factory piston/cup set.

Unless I am missing something.

Thanks.

Comment

Anyone???

This does not make sense to me, as the seal (plunger above piston) stays above the bottom port in the mc, I can see the top end of the piston through the hole when relaxed.

I tried sticking a small wire (bread-tie)in the top port to see if there was a hole, no luck..

How is the fluid supposed to bleed back then?

I'm gonna look at it with a jewlers eye piece and see if I can get closer to fixing this problem.

Thanks

Comment

You should be able to shine a light through that hole and see it in the chamber. However, I had a similar problem a couple of years ago where, for whatever reason, the factory MC's return port wasn't drilled out. I had a shop professionally do it as the bit is so small I couldn't find it locally. It worked but I decided to upgrade to Salty Monk's twinpot setup and like it.

Check around town and see if a machine shop can fix it for you.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I would have replaced the seals in the caliper if I were that far. Not saying its your problem but relying on the original seals is never a good idea.

Comment

Halz426, were you able to fix this problem? I'm having the same problem and was wondering if you were able to try anything else?

Comment

Yea, I fixed it, the mc port was so clogged it looked like there was no hole.

The fix was simple. Took a piece of stiff wire out of a wire wheel or you could use a wire grill bristle and just work the hole.

Compressed air would not blow it out and all the other wires I tried were too soft and bent. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                        X