New steering stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New steering stops

So I have installed my bandit 1200 front end on my gs1000. I had to remove the original steering stops now I need new ones.

The forks of course hit the tank without any. I was thinking 1/4-3/8" clearance between forks and tank, I never checked the original clearance

Opinions or suggestions welcome and thanks,
    Daryl
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

the clearance wont matter as long as there is clearance. 1/4 inch will be fine
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Make sure that you leave enough clearance so that your thumb can't get caught between the grips and the tank. If you don't you could loose a thumb in a crash.

Comment

Originally posted by althomas101 View Post
        Make sure that you leave enough clearance so that your thumb can't get caught between the grips and the tank. If you don't you could loose a thumb in a crash.
        THAT is a really good point!

Thanks,
        Daryl
        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Ive seen people here modify their steering stops by drilling and tapping the stops on the forks and then using a bolt to adjust from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
            Ive seen people here modify their steering stops by drilling and tapping the stops on the forks and then using a bolt to adjust from there.
            I have seen that also. The stops on the 1999 bandit is not large enough for this option. I have to weld the stop on the frame steering tube.

Comment

Steering Stops GS 1100ez

I installed a new steering neck on my miler bike,and in using hayabusa front forks will be welding new stops on this week.I will be using some 3/16 cr along with a tab on each side for adj.bolts.As I will need to limit my steering travel to 15 deg. left and right(30 total) per rules.I'll post a pic or two later this week.As a precaution,if you do weld on some stops,you might think about replacing outer races if you put alot of heat into stops attachment.Especially if their older cups an cones Later Rich

Comment

Any word on the busa forks?

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                  I did this on my Kawi Elimininator 900. I installed an Eliminator 1000 tank so I wouldn't run out of gas at 80 miles. If I had not done the steering stop mod, it would have smashed my tank into the bars at full stop. (Thumbs are replaceable, these days. ZL1000 gas tanks are almost extinct.)

You might be able to see the mod in this pic. At least you can see the Progressive 412's....
                  Last edited by gsgeezer; 08-13-2013, 07:18 PM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                  X