any 79 gs1000 parts interchange with a 82 650L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any 79 gs1000 parts interchange with a 82 650L

I noticed a 79 gs 1000 at work striped but it still has the forks and front and back rims. The forks have a dual brake setup. I was wondering if this would fit my bike, or would it change the ride height to much or something else. The front rim is the same as mine 19" but back one is a 17" but mine is a 16". I could read on the back one it used a tube didnt look on the front one.I was really just interested in the forks and dual brake setup. If it doesnt get smashed before I can get the parts. Sorry for not doing search, I got stuff to do and would like to get the parts tomorrow. Thanks for any help.

I took a guick measurement of my 78 1000 and it is close to being the same from the axle to the top. If you can get it cheap and it's in good shape I'd go for it. Get the trees bearing brakes the whole thing if possible. Even if it doesn't work you may be able to help out another member with some getting harder to find parts and turn a buck to boot. If I saw your post earlier I could have taken some more measurements. I'm also not sure what type of bearings the 79 has so that might need to be addressed if the 79 uses ball bearings instead of sealed rollers.

If you have time to spare I can take some better measurement of both bikes after I get off work at 3:00pm EST. The 16 and 17 inch shouldn't make a difference if the total height at the top of the tire is the same.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I dont have room for a whole rollin frame most of the stuff guages and mirrors handlebars are bent no motor, its a chain drive so back rim wont work on mine, I'll see what I can find out. Scrap prices are down so may be able to get it cheap.The only thing that is a problem is if someone smashes it or throws a car or truck frame on it.I'll try to get it and hide it.There is a 550 mostly gone but I got the carbs, bad thing I took to long so 2 outside bodies are damaged, one really bad but inside parts should be good.Thanks
      Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2013, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scrapper View Post
        I dont have room for a whole rollin frame most of the stuff guages and mirrors handlebars are bent no motor, its a chain drive so back rim wont work on mine, I'll see what I can find out. Scrap prices are down so may be able to get it cheap.The only thing that is a problem is if someone smashes it or throws a car or truck frame on it.I'll try to get it and hide it.There is a 550 mostly gone but I got the carbs, bad thing I took to long so 2 outside bodies are damaged, one really bad but inside parts should be good.Thanks
        I didn't mean the frame the whole front end, all the rest if good can make you a few dollars.
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Ok, didnt have time to get it, only can do it during lunch,no one there late after work. I will try again forks are alot better looking than mine.

Comment

I got the triple tree ,head light ears,front forks,everything on them and ,rear wheel and caliper.

Comment

I have been searching but cant find any info for a 79 1000 fork swap to a 82 gs650L. I am guessing it would bolt up good with the correct steering stem bearings? It would seem the dia of the fork tubes are different. I am not sure but will check bike bandit to see if the steering stem bearings are the same part number. If they are I'm guessing it would be a direct swap. The only thing that I can think of is dual brake lines and maybe the master cylinder would need to be replaced?I want to use my wheel because it is tubeless. Thanks for any links or info.

edit "I just looked and the bearings are the same. Did I miss anything else?"
              Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2013, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X