teflon or similar sleeve inside fork legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

teflon or similar sleeve inside fork legs

just inside my lower fork legs are some plastic teflon or similar bushes which i would like to replace with new ones. they are not listed in any parts books where can I get them from or what do I make them out of??

What model bike?

Comment

Originally posted by jellywrestler View Post
      just inside my lower fork legs are some plastic teflon or similar bushes which i would like to replace with new ones. they are not listed in any parts books where can I get them from or what do I make them out of??
      More info please. Year and model of bike.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Fancy meeting you here, Jelly....You could (and should) blow their minds by posting a pic of the beast....But that wouldn't help with part ID would it...
        Given how much of it is hand made and that i've been into a lot of GS forks and never seen what you describe, I'd bet it's another fabrication made to suit.
        I know it uses 37mm legs - what sliders does it use ? Are the bushes there as adaptors ?

Grumph

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
          Fancy meeting you here, Jelly....You could (and should) blow their minds by posting a pic of the beast....But that wouldn't help with part ID would it...
          Given how much of it is hand made and that i've been into a lot of GS forks and never seen what you describe, I'd bet it's another fabrication made to suit.
          I know it uses 37mm legs - what sliders does it use ? Are the bushes there as adaptors ?

Grumph
          The 37mm forks on my bike have two teflon bushings. One on the bottom of the inner tube and one at the top of the outer tube. Part # were no longer available for the year model fork I was using, 80-81 GS1100E forks. So I went to a later year 83-84 I believe, they use pretty much the same 37mm fork with the exception of no longer being a leading axle type like the 80-81. I just used those part numbers for the teflon bushings. Installed with no hassles. Even my stock 750 forks used the teflon bushings.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Well, there you go, a little information and an answer...

I know the bike he's rebuilding is very special with an enormous amount of custom fabrication - and a really odd mixture of parts and years.

Nice to have it cleared up.

Comment

Originally posted by Elielrosario View Post
              What model bike?
              she's a chop but i'm pretty sure they're 79 GS1000 L lowers

Comment

Grumph
                she's 37mm forks

Comment

Grumph
                  hey Greg
                  the forks in question are stockers replacing the originals so no mods that i know of

Comment

Fair enough - but none of the pre 82 GS forks I have here use the bushes.
                    They would appear to be a little later than expected...

Comment

Originally posted by jellywrestler View Post
                      ,,, hi guys a good commercial "O" supplier should be able to supply you with teflon seals ,,, i,ve regularly used teflon seals of different shapes in moulding machines,, they are not expensive either regards oldgrumpy

Comment

Square tube exhaust ? That musta been tricky to bend.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

The square tube exhaust is the least of it - the chassis is a monocoque...

Jelly should really post some more pics and a description of it - it's a pretty historic bike here in NZ. Maybe when the restoration is complete ?

Comment

Working...
                          X