Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10/20, just like the articles say.

Comment

If the weight being carried on the tire is the max weight allowed, the max air should be run. Any less air at that weight would be bad. Less weight on the tire requires less air. We ride around at maybe 2/3 of the rated weight, so around 2/3 of the max air pressure is a good ballpark to be in. The 10% rule is great. It's not all that critical. What is critical is that you don't run them low. Pressure too high means a harsh ride, maybe a bit less traction, slightly better gas mileage and tire life. Nothing too hazardous. Too low means dented rims, fast wearing tires, ill handling, falling down, sudden tire failures, maybe even some death and destruction. However you determine your correct tire pressure, don't get lazy and run them low.

At least step on the rim to see if it's gone flat before you get on. Also learn what the bike feels like when the tire pressures are low, so you can recognise the onset of a leak before a nail or something bites you on the ass.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        At least step on the rim to see if it's gone flat before you get on. Also learn what the bike feels like when the tire pressures are low, so you can recognise the onset of a leak before a nail or something bites you on the ass.
        It really helps to know what it feels like when your pressure is low, so you anticipate problems. Even in your cage you will notice the effect on the steering.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Contact the tire manufactor to get the correct pressurs for your type of riding. Having considerable track experience each mf will be different, and by a considerable amount. Some tires add more psi when warm than others. And 1 pound can make a difference.

Comment

I ride with mine at about 32/36 too... Been meaning to do the 10% test for years, one of those get round to it things!
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
              I have been using 36 front 38 rear on my bike with Shinko 230 TourMasters. .
              Me too! Same PSI and same tires....but on a GS1100E.
              1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Avon doesn't want any less than 32psi
                GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
                  It is amazing how much tyre pressure can increase, when warm. I just bought an old drag bike and, since I had the front fender off, I noticed that the tyre had expanded to the point that it had rubbed on the bottom of the fender.
                  Drag tires are designed to increase in diameter at high speeds. It is a form of automatic transmission going into overdrive. The tires on that drag bike probably don't meet DOT standards for street use.

Regular street tire expand only a very tiny amount.

Originally posted by JustRide View Post
                  Contact the tire manufactor to get the correct pressurs for your type of riding. Having considerable track experience each mf will be different, and by a considerable amount. Some tires add more psi when warm than others. And 1 pound can make a difference.
                  The tire manufacturer can't know the optimum pressure for each combination of motorcycle, roads, loads and speeds. Stick with the 10% rule.
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                  X