03 GXSR front end on a 83 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

03 GXSR front end on a 83 1100E

I have a friend who has a few GXSR front ends that he picked up cheap. These forks would include the clipons, and brake setup. The one I am looking at is an 03 GSXR1000 front end.

Has anyone here done a detailed buld outlining what is required to make this fit an 83 GS1100E? I would assume I would need new race and tapered bearings. What would I need to do to get the spacers and brakes set up to work with the factory GS1100 wheel? I really do not want to run 2 seperate wheels.

All help and direction appreciated.

Gary

Originally posted by gk45011 View Post
    I have a friend who has a few GXSR front ends that he picked up cheap. These forks would include the clipons, and brake setup. The one I am looking at is an 03 GSXR1000 front end.

Has anyone here done a detailed buld outlining what is required to make this fit an 83 GS1100E? I would assume I would need new race and tapered bearings. What would I need to do to get the spacers and brakes set up to work with the factory GS1100 wheel? I really do not want to run 2 seperate wheels.

All help and direction appreciated.

Gary
    normally you would run wheels and brakes with forks as mixing and matching can often be troublesome. That being said most of the modern forks are pretty short and gives you ground clearance issues especially when coupled with 17" wheels.

Comment

Katman has described this in detail here: http://www.suzuki-katana.com/katana_suspension.html
      It's for an 1100 Kat but there should only be minor differences for a std GS 1100.
      In this post, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=206668, I have shown how to use std GS 1000 wheels in a GSXR 1100 K ( 1989) fork.
      The same principles should apply if you want to use the original GS 1100 wheel in the GSXR 1000 03 fork but ...it's quite a bit of work!
      Last edited by John Kat; 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM.
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

fork swap

Thanks guys. Keep the information coming. I'll read the posts you suggested. It sounds like this swap may be far beyond my financial, and or skill level. I could be wrong though, I'll keep reading.

Gary

Comment

Hey gk, you get any further in your quest for new forks? I'm trying to figure out the best thing to use for my 82 gs1100e.

Comment

Originally posted by drew.t View Post
            Hey gk, you get any further in your quest for new forks? I'm trying to figure out the best thing to use for my 82 gs1100e.
            Not yet. I have some options but all are complete front ends without wheel and spacers. I would like to figure spacers for my factory wheel temporarily. Looks like it may be slow winter process so I can keep riding this summer. 8unless the right parts fall in place before than.

Gary

Comment

try this link;

they are adapters to do just what you want
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

spacer

Thanks HJ. Checking as we speak.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                X