Help with seized rear MC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with seized rear MC

Any tips for getting the metal column inside unstuck and out so I can rebuild. I've only managed to push it in further. 80 gs1000g. Thanks!!

Originally posted by Buetra19 View Post
    Any tips for getting the metal column inside unstuck and out so I can rebuild. I've only managed to push it in further. 80 gs1000g. Thanks!!
    Assuming you have already removed the circlip & associated plunger rod, you can try using compressed air - point your air gun into the port the banjo screws into...

Be carefull though, hold a rag over the opposite end to catch the piston when it fires out.

I use this method to remove all my stuck MC & caliper pistons - works quite well most of the time...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Usually if they are stuck they are junk.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

grease gun
        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Stuck caliper pistons

I recently experienced stuck brake pistons that would not come out with compressed air. I will post some pics of what I came up. with. A bolt about 1/2 inch long that will screw into the banjo bolt hole. I then drilled a small hole length wise through the bolt. I then drilled and tapped the top of the bolt. Be sure that you do not go to deep here. I didn't have the correct tap for the hole that I drilled that was the right one. I used the closest metric tap that I had and screwed the grease zerk into the hole in top of the bolt. Worked fine. Pistons came out easily with no drama. A lot of grease to clean up but all confined to one area. I prefer compressed air but using the grease gun made an impossible job possible.IMG_20140704_132614357 - Copy
          Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2014, 06:34 PM. Reason: added pics

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Usually if they are stuck they are junk.
            Unfortunately
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Just last week, my neighbor and his Goldwing dropped by with a stuck MC.

I used air to release it, and rebuilt it.

If you decide to use one after it is released, make sure the internals are not scored from the piston. I had to lightly smooth the edge for the snap ring once it was clean. A little deeper grove helped hold everything in anyway, so the neighbor was happy.

Comment

Working...
              X