Whats needed for a wheel swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats needed for a wheel swap?

Hi, new member but ive been lurking around for awhile. I've searched for days and am exhausted from trying to find information on this topic.

I recently picked up a 1977 GS750. I Don't plan on making a cafe racer out of it, but however I would like to do some tasteful (well at least IMO) upgrades.

There are two 750s I like the wheel combination on, I believe one from the picture has 88 gsxr750 wheels on it, the other however i am not sure on since there are several wheels that look like this. But I would imagine they are GS750E wheels 1983/84 era.

Whats needed to make these fit, as you can see in on the black bike it looks as if they used a stock swing arm and those wheels fit

Will 83/84 GS750ES wheels fit with no modification?
    Is there any pages with a how to for these bikes?

I would preferably like to go to a radial tubeless, but if I could getaway from the factory wheels I would be happy.

Thanks for your help,
    Austin
    Attached Files

I guess I should say I know these both have done front end conversions, but both are still running a skinny tire, So I would imagine it is still possible with the factory 750 forks or even an up grade to the 1100 ones.

Comment

Those wheels could be from a GS500, as they look like that same design. You can run a Radial tire on them and they make a 140 radial, with the front , you can run almost any of the available 110 or120 radial front tires. I have seen people put a 150 on the rear but I am not sure it will clear the stock swing arm on the 750. Also get axle spacers and rear sprocket carrier and brake caliper from the GS500. All these parts are cheap on E-Bay. A GS500 also runs a 37mm front end, but are only a single disc brake, but even so it is a large improvement over the stock brakes on the older GS's, so you can get the triple tree from a 850,1000,1100 and use the fork tubes from the 500 if you wanted to keep the stock triple appearance.
      Last edited by hjfisk; 07-26-2013, 06:53 AM.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
      X