Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550ef (1984) Rear suspension

Hey there,

So the rear unit on a friends 550EF is bagged and I was wondering if there is a direct bolt in from an early GSXR750 or 600? Or I have to use an old GS550Ef shock?

Or are there any other suspension conversions that are possible for the rear full floater?

Cheers!
    Justin

any rear shock will fit as long as it has the same top and bottom mounts,same eye to eye length and is from a similarly weighted bike. (although springs and internals can be changed or adjusted to compensate for weight differences)
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I understand that some guys have fitted GSXR shocks. But I have no idea on the year. Like would a 2003 GSXR-600 shock bolt right in? or are there specific years to look for?

I would idly like to get something soon, as we are going on a motorcycl trip as of August 9th.

Comment

a 2003 GSXR600 shock is 320mm eye to eye so you need to check the length of your stock shock. obviously if the GSXR shock is slightly longer it will fit but it will jack up the rear of your bike a bit.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

There is a posting on the type of shock that has been used successfully.
          I forget the OPs name though. I know it was a 600 shock and that it was a tad too long...............

I think maybe it was SKREEMER

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

found with a cursory search.

Comment

See nobody seems to have any answers, just a yes or no would suffice.

One guy had it bolt right in, another chopped it and made it shorter, others modify the air box.

But nobody seems to be like yes I used a ____ year gsxr shock, and i had to do this.

I have a GSXR1000 shock, and im hoping it fits with little effort. Ill post back if I make it work.

Comment

Sorry but I am sure the answer is buried here somewhere.
                Some of the folks in the thread I posted appear to be long gone though

Comment

Yes they will bolt right up.
                  remove the linkage and throw in a gsxr-600 rear shock. The distance between the two mount points is the same as with all the linkage in there now taken up by the shock. You might need to mount the shock upside down and you will need a handful of washers, The bolt fits in the bushings just fine but the area side to side needs to be filled. Take a look at my signature I used a GSXR600 shock for a 2000 year. They do vary a touch and you might find the unladen height just a touch higher, or at least mine was high because the old shock was worn and blown out.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2013, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X