Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000e caliper bolts

Hi guys,
    I'm stripping down, rebuilding and painting my calipers, they look spot on but could do with new caliper bolts, I've searched web and there quite expensive for one bolt anybody have any ideas what I could do to get them lOoking good or know where I can get them at a reasonable price, I live in UK.

Originally posted by dartfuldodgers View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm stripping down, rebuilding and painting my calipers, they look spot on but could do with new caliper bolts, I've searched web and there quite expensive for one bolt anybody have any ideas what I could do to get them lOoking good or know where I can get them at a reasonable price, I live in UK.
    ...................hi you could try picking up 4 socket head cap screws , stainless steel ,,, they will do the job and they are not expensive regards oldgrumpy

Comment

They are expensive, and they're grooved for O-rings.
      But they're stainless steel,
      polish them up with a wire buffer wheel.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Do you need the bolts that attatch it to the mount arm or the carrier pins for the pads? If you need the carrier pins, just wire wheel them nice and replace the orings.

Otherwise, take an existing bolt to the hardware. Be sure of the length because if it goes too far into the mount arm it will hit the rotor and that's not good. It can be just a tad shorter than the original ( 1mm or so ) but not longer unless you want to stack a bunch of washers on it.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi thanks for replys, it is the mounting pins for the calipers I'm after I've been a few hardware stores and struggle to get same length bolt because they are metric fine thread with a shoulder on, which is for a tight fit into fork leg, also the carrier pins should I replace with new O-rings or can reuse the old ones I have not taking them off the carrier pin yet.

Comment

Clean the carrier pins with the wire wheel. they don't need anything except new orings and some grease on the orings when you reinsert them.

If the bolts your finding are too long, get a nut that fits them, put the nut on the bolts and cut to length. Wire brush the end where you cut the bolt off. Then remove the nut and the nut will fix the threads at the end of the bolt. Kind of like running a die up the bolt.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You don't specifically "NEED" the flanged ones either. Regular machine bolt and a washer will do fine until you can source the factory one...if that's whats bothering you.

Comment

Hi, thanks for info the bolts that I have are not flanged they have a shoulder on and the last 16mm Is threaded I didn't want to put a bolt on that's threadsed all the way up to head of bolt not sure wheather this will affect the purpose of bolts I don't want it to be dangerous, I still have old bolts so maybe I could either get them re-chromed or buy new ones.

Comment

Getting them rechromed is a bit of a lottery. Figures I've seen say a loss of around 8 - 10% stress yield strength after plating...

What i do is go to my fastener supply house with sample and ask for a high tensile bolt with the same length of unthreaded shank. It will of course be longer....that's what saws are for. I freehand grind the end to a nice lead in radius and de burr on a wire wheel.

The unthreaded shank is because you should not put a threaded shank through the alloy boss on the fork leg - it will carve it away...

Comment

I did not know chroming effected strenght, yes I have been trying to find bolts with metric fine thread and with the same length unthreaded shank but finding it hard to find them, only one I can find are m10 bolts with a long shank I was thinking of getting them and re-threading them as these have just metric standard thread.

Comment

caliper bolts

You could try Mark at www.a2stainless.co.uk he has been a great help for me over the years these are on my sons 550 and are to the same dimensions to standard caliper bolts and wont rust or tarnish . Dennis.
                      My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

caliper bolts

Or if you want your brakes to WORK! go for an upgrade, i have this setup on my GS1000.
                        My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Thanks for contact Dennis will be ordering some of those bolts this week, as for brakes thinking I'm going to keep standard caliper a for moment, what set up have you got there and was it much work, are those the standard gs forks?

Comment

Caliper bolts

Hi standard forks with fireblade discs and yamaha fz6 calipers, I made the brackets and spacers myself not to hard realy. Dennis

Comment

Nice dennis will keep in mind if I want an upgrade!

Comment

Working...
                              X